Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

great night out

Old 10-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Spike

Default great night out

well when my classes ended today 2 i didnt know if i was going to go hunting or not because it was warm and a storm was moving in, then i thought about it and realized i wait all year for this i am going hunting!

i got on stand at about 3:30 in a spot i saved for the rut, knowing the rut isnt quite here in PA yet i was really hoping to just catch some deer moving through maybe trying to find a little tail before the storm.

nothing was moving except for leafs coming off trees, and then i turned my head and caught more then moment, i saw a buck at only forty yards behind me. i instantly reached for my bow but soon stopped as i realized i was looking at a 100 inch 2 year old 8 pointer, two years ago or perhaps last year i would have been trying my damnedest to get a shot but i made a commitment to myself that i would only shoot a buck that i thought was mature or a trophy in my eye. the buck took a few steps closer entered a stream i was sitting next to and laid down to cool off, getting up moments later shaking off and continued his path with his nose to the ground, he hit or made a scrape about a hundred yards from me and continued on his way.

passing up this buck made me just as happy as shooting it, he put on a real show for me and i just kept telling myself i did the right thing. this is the 2nd 2yr old 8 point i have had chip shots at that i passed up this season and both decisions i am very happy i made. i know the land i am hunting has some very nice mature bucks that i am hoping my patience will lead me too and even if it doesn't i feel confident that by letting these bucks walk will only make my hunting that much better next year

at 20 years young i am passing up bucks i would have gave an arm to shoot at 16 and i am realizing that hunting is more then just shooting the first nice buck that strolls by, antler restrictions are definitely working if you ask me and finally having the time to put a good amount of hours on stand i feel confident that sooner or later a big boy will give me a opportunity, at least i hope so because right now my dad thinks i am insane for passing up these bucks. his face looked like this when i told him my story tonight

the season is long and that buck tag can only be used once i keep playing scenes of big ol bucks strolling in to me so to all those who have yet to fill there tags i wish you luck and to those who have i congratulate you

hopefully this rut kicks off this weekend for us PA guys and gals because it is close and i mean REAL close
Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

good post bud, glad to hear you had a great night out in the woods. I enjoyed the weekend hunting with you out here and i am sure we will have some more good memories this weekend and hopefully put some big bucks on the ground. And also its good to hear your happy with decisions of passing up younger bucks, i think its gonna pay off big for you this year
Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Spike

ah to all of you unfamiliar with hunt4life, if you want to see big john deere and i mean trophy class this is the guy you want to have put you on stand