HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Mask or Paint? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/33277-mask-paint.html)

jag-mag 07-14-2003 11:56 PM

Mask or Paint?

Do you use face paint or some sort of head or face mask? The reason Im
asking this is because I use a full head and face mask except for the eyes.
I use a kisser button and Im alittle concerned it might get caught on the mask,
the mask is made out of thin material.

Cougar Mag 07-15-2003 12:41 AM

RE: Mask or Paint?

I used face paint years ago but have since used a stretch type mask. I use a kisser button also and have the area around my mouth cut out...no problem.

NYBOWHUNTER11 07-15-2003 03:07 AM

I USE A FACE MASK WITH EYES HOLES BUT I DID USE PAINT I LOVE PAINT BUT TAKE TOLONG TO GET OFF AND IT DOSE NOT STOP THE BUGS FROM BITEING....

AL BOWMANSVILLE NY WNY

AK 07-15-2003 05:18 AM

It depends for me. I really don' t like things over my face, (especially when stillhunting/stalking or when it' s hot) so I either use facepaint or burnt cork if I don' t have to go anywhere special (ie; to work) after a hunt. Most times, I do end up wearing a headnet, though. Sometimes I don' t cover my face with anything.

AK 07-15-2003 05:21 AM

I should add that the shadow created by wearing a boonie hat or Fedora goes a long way to hiding a white face. So does choosing a ground blind that is in the shadows of overhanging limbs.

click 07-15-2003 05:58 AM

in the past i havn' t wore anything to cover my face but this year i bought a mask. good question i was also wandering what to do with the kisser:) might not make a difference, but i like the idea of cutting that area out -- I think!

Solax 07-15-2003 06:36 AM

I wear a face mask and if I get one that has two eye holes instead of one I cut the center part out (between the eyes) so that it doesn' t interfere with my peep site. That also helps with vision, if you want to look to the side without moving your head.

Mykey 07-15-2003 06:51 AM

I' ve always used face paint, i can' t stand anything covering my face.

Rob/PA Bowyer 07-15-2003 06:59 AM

Usually nothing, I hunt high when the situation dictates it but if that isn' t possible because of the situation, I will opt for face paint. I don' t like the confines of a mask that may interfere with shooting or vision. When the weather turns sour, I have a neck warmer that I pull up over my face with a knit hat pulled down so that only my eyes appear. When a shooting opportunity presents itself, I do pull the neck warmer down.

BobCo19-65 07-15-2003 07:02 AM

Here is a real good piece of advice if you like to wear face paint. Try using makeup instead , the type that actors wear. If covers better, is much more waterproof, does not shine at all, handles perspiration, is much cheaper, and goes on and off much easier. I use cover all cake makeup first for the whole face(dark green, brown or grey) which goes on with a sponge (takes about 20-30 seconds), and then use a brush and use face makeup with a little water, or a stick makeup to use for the details, I usually just use black for this. It takes about 1 minute to put this on and it comes off easy with a makeup remover pad.

http://www.starcostumes.com/browse.asp?id=512

benhuntin 07-15-2003 07:04 AM

I used to use paint but now I use the stretchy kind of face mask. I have a friend that uses dark brown panty hose for a face mask. Seems to work good for him. I just cant get over the idea of it. (Yes I am married, and no he isnt that kind of friend)[:o]

benhuntin 07-15-2003 07:07 AM

Try using makeup instead
Hey! With your makeup idea and my pantyhose face mask idea he' ll definatley have some explaining to do back at camp.:D;)

BobCo19-65 07-15-2003 07:09 AM

benhuntin

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

wimp 07-15-2003 07:54 AM

Used to do paint, but it' s less now and only in warmer weather. In colder temps I do exactly like Rob does and it works well. A flick of the thumb just before drawing drops the neckwarmer enough for me to feel my kisser.

dick_cress 07-15-2003 08:26 AM

All of the above. I have different masks that I use under different circimstances ie. temperature, am I calling or shooting etc. My favorite is the Spandoflage Mask. I usually add little strips of Spanish Moss on it to add to its effectiveness. I also use paint when the occasion calls for it.

I have a kisser knot tied to my string but the Spandoflage Mask has never kept me from filling my freezer.

jsager 07-15-2003 08:32 AM

I use face paint i don' t like the feel of the face mask,i wear a neck gator for when it' s to cold and pull it up over my face,but for me i would rather use face paint or nothing.

mez 07-15-2003 08:40 AM

I use a 3/4 mask, then I can take it up or down as needed. I like the paint better but don' t like trying to get it off. I hunt alot before work so the mask is a must. I have never had it interfere with my string or peep, I don' t use a kisser button.

Hunter001 07-15-2003 08:47 AM

I use a face mask with the eyes out, and have a lil hole so i can use my kisser button. I like the mask because it keeps the bugs away from your face and its not hard to take off like paint is.

Jeepnut 07-15-2003 08:56 AM

I use a 3/4 mask that is made from some pretty thin material so there' s no problem feeling the kisser through it. If I' m hunting from my treestand the mask is all I use but if I' m going to be hunting from the ground I' ll use the mask and then paint around my eyes. I' ve never had much trouble getting it to wash off.

huntnma 07-15-2003 09:05 AM

i use a face mask, but i carry the paint just incase i forget it, if all else fails i' ll get dirt/mud or even better some burnt bark and rub that all over my face.....i' ll do whatever it takes for them not to see me[:-]

Tazman 07-15-2003 10:33 AM

I used to use the actors make up, but switched to a thin mask with just the eyes and mouth, I had a mask without a mouth and really worried about the scent accumulation from my breathing through the mask.

Deleted User 07-15-2003 10:37 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

DoubleLung55 07-15-2003 01:53 PM

I like to use a mesh face net . It prevents the bugs from getting at u so much , and face paint takes forever to get off. Also it is equally as easy to shoot a kisser button with aface mask.

antlergetter 07-15-2003 08:45 PM

It all depends, I like the paint because it adds to the feeling of the hunt...I feel like I' m going into battle:D. But if it' s cold, I use a face mask. I dont use a kisser button, so thats not a factor for me.

MBuckH72 07-15-2003 09:17 PM

I use a mask at all times. I have never used paint.

skeeter 7MM 07-16-2003 01:02 AM

Most the time 3/4 tight face mask. If cold a full head net to trap in heat. If I am stalking or in open territory, I will usually use make up.

TimberJack 07-16-2003 08:47 AM

Been using face paint for years,,like some of ya' ll,,have never liked having a mask on..I only paint my cheeks & around my eyes tho,,let my ol red beard take care of the rest(the deer think it' s a fox squirrel peekin out at em LOL)..If it' s hot(& it usually is down here)I carry a little compact mirror with me & put my paint on after I am in the stand & have cooled down a bit..Also to clean it up afterwords,,I use nothing more than Handi Wipes(or something similar),,they take it right off with no problemo..Ohhh & I do use a Spandoflauge headnet with the whole face cut out of it to hide this BlondRed mane I have..

MATTHEWS 07-16-2003 09:03 AM

I always wear a mask. I practice with it on before season to make sure it doesnt interfer with my shooting. Paint is just to hard to get off and doesnt protect from those pesty mosquitoes.

CamoHunter 07-16-2003 08:28 PM

Face paint here. I like not having to worry about the mask. Just paint up & go:D

nselvis 07-17-2003 06:49 PM

I use a mask with an opening for my eyes and put face paint in that opening, in case I decide to stalk, that way I won' t have any worries about the suns reflection.

jetblast 07-17-2003 08:02 PM

I just wear a ball cap. At 20 feet up, if they look up, then I' m busted all ready with or without a mask.

Wannabe Redneck 07-18-2003 07:40 AM

I used to use face paint but it took alot of soap work to get it off and now I use a mask which is 10 times better

liquidorange 07-18-2003 07:56 AM

i would go with green and white face paint GO JETS!

MOSSY_HORN 07-18-2003 08:17 AM

Typically nothing when in a tree stand. Stalking elk from ground level I' ll use face paint. I' m to paranoid to use a mask or head net. I' m convinced it will get caught on my string or release. In realit, it might not. But I can' t concentrate on making a good shot for worring about it. So I just don' t use one.

doomsday 07-18-2003 09:01 AM

I use a mask (spandoflauge) and have no problem with it catching on my bow string. Also helps out with the bugs.

Red Hawk 08-14-2003 12:50 AM

I would use face mask because i usually have my head and it would be too much of a hassle to paint up my noogin. that or wear a hat lol:D