Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
There Goes My Bow Season >

There Goes My Bow Season

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

There Goes My Bow Season

Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default There Goes My Bow Season

Last Saturday I finally got my first shots on a doe for the season. She was 30 yards out, broadside and had no idea of where I was. But when I drew back my shoulder popped out of place and dropped about 2 inches. The pain was excruciating and even worse, I couldn't release my arrow until I knew I was aiming at her chest, so I ended up staying at full draw for about another 15 seconds or so. The my string smacked against my sleeve and let out a loud "whack" as I watched the first arrow fly right over her back.

Aside from pacing in a circle a few times, she didn't seem to mind and resumed foraging. I have had problems with a dead arm before (my shoulder has been dislocated once in a hockey game and once in an ATV accident) so I thought if I shifted my body, I would be fine. I pulled back on another arrow and, although my shoulder stayed in place, the pain was much worse this time and I was having a difficult time aiming. I put my 30 yard pin on her again, thinking it was my flinch that sent the arrow a bit high, and another arrow went over her back. So now, with the right body position and the 20 yard pin on her heart I pulled back on ANOTHER arrow and, as luck would have it, my shoulder popped out again! Another shot and another miss and 3 lost arrows later, I decided to call it quits.

I can't understand why my shoulder is acting so funny all of a sudden. I have been practicing 3 hours a day, once a week for the last few months and I have never had shoulder troubles like this. I haven't gone to the doctor yet, but my guess is the news won't be good. Has anyone else out there had shoulder problems like this? Are there any arm braces out there that can keep it from sliding out of place like this? Or am I going to miss out on the rut this year?

There is still rifle season, but it won't be until December so I may have to wait to fill up my freezer. And on that note, does anyone know of a good recoil pad?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend a doctor visit with the hope that you can prevent further damage to your shoulder.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Hats off to you buddy. You are a beast! Sorry about your shoulder tho. Hope you can figure something out so you can get back into the season.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

That's a bad deal sir and I admire your strength and desire! My brother had what sounds like the exact thing happen to him, but it wasn't aiming at a deer, it was a target. His shoulder came out joint a couple times while playing high school football and unfortunately at only 27 he can't pull a bow back without having trouble like that. It didn't happen everytime, but enough that he couldn't take the chance while hunting.

He ended up getting with the DNR and his Doctor and got a cross bow permit and he seems to be somewhat satisfied. At least he's out during bow season.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

thats some dedication right there.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder.

I did something to mine a yr or so ago, only would hurt if I carried something heavy or if I do alot of shooting at once 50 plus shots practicing. Excedrine Back and Body is my friend. I really need to get it looked at.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

I had shoulder problems, not as bad as yours, but when I shot, I'd have to anchor my right hand and nocked arrow and extend my left hand upward. Then I was able to lift it into position. I wasn't able to draw straight back with my right arm without pain. I went to physical therapy for 2 months, nothing really heavy, and I was able to get full mobility with the arm. Never had any dislocations, but since we're not doctors, let them tell you what the problem is before it gets worse. You might be able to wear a brace or something. Won't know till you go. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Mine doesn't come completely out of socket but will make a loud pop about once a year. It is random when it happens. Since I pretty much hunt exclusively with a bow it is kind of chance. Most of the time it is when practicing, like was stated earlier, after lots of shots and tired muscles. I have noticed that if I work my shoulders out lifting weights that it doesn't happen as often. In fact it hasn't done it at all since the first weekend of last December. Good luck to you.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Bill I know exactly what you are going through right now. In the past three years I have had surgery on my shoulder not once but twice. First time I had a lateral tear a bone spur a syst and they had to trim down my clavical, even after all of that I was still having problems with my shoulder alot of times it would give out on me while holding my bow back or if I would throw a softball my arm would pop out of socket. Basically what it ended up being the second time was that I had torn my labrum(the muscle that holds your shoulder in place). from someone who has been through this take my advice SEE A DOCTOR. I went for a long time with shoulder problems and just shrugged it off thinking it was nothing the docs told me that if I would have came in sooner it would not have been as bad as it was. Good luck to you and I hope all turns out well
Old 10-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about your luck. I work in the medical field and it sounds like you may have torn and stretched the ligaments and tendons. Unfortunately the only thing that will fix this is surgery. I hope your luck changes.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Hey everyone, thanks for your supportive words! I spoke with the sports medicine people and will be seeing a doctor this Wednesday--in the meantime it's lots of ice and ibuprofen, but my guess is that I will be told to do the oversized rubberband exercises again.

And although the idea of being able to use a crossbow during bow season is appealing, I barely have enough money to replace the arrows and broadheads I lost, let alone a new weapon. I just hope I can get cleared to go out again before the rut is over and I REALLY hope I can at least make it out for upland and rifle season--even if that means wrapping up my shoulder in a way that makes drawing back an arrow the only thing I can do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.