Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

D@m# Dogs

Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Spike

Default D@m# Dogs

I was so excited about this Saturday. It was going to be my first ever bow hunt and I was going to be able to spend dawn till dusk in the woods! After seeing two does in some thicker stuff at 9:20, I was getting really excited about the possibility of my first bow kill. Then 15 minutes later, three dogs came tromping through the woods for 20 minutes in the bedding area that the does came from. After another hour, I decided to move to another area of the property and within 30 minutes, I'll be durned if three beagles weren't chasing after a rabbit. I moved to a third area and sat for 4 1/2 hours without seeing or hearing a thing. VERY FRUSTRATING! It's not like it's a small peice of land. It's 200 acres. I talked to the owner of the beagles and he was very apologetic and said the dogs jumped a rabbit and took off. WTH is he running his dogs on a Saturday during deer season. Of course they took off after a rabbit...that's what beagles do!

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I'll try again next weekend and hopefully the deer have settled back into their normal routine.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I feel your pain, I have a dog problem on my hunting spot too.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Could be where I live.

Allowed to run dogs once regular gun season comes in, and they run everywhere.

Basically for the past month most dog hunters has been running their dogs and calling it Fox hunting (chase only) not allowed to use firearms till Nov. 1st for Fox or run after deer till gun season starts.

makes for crappy bowhunting season.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

I feel your pain as well. Had many a hunt ruined by dogs running free, and chasing the deer around.
The only dog I like to hear is at a small rural area I hunt. Always tied up and when ever I hear him do his barking about an hour later, like clock work, here come the deer. I back tracked the trail and the deer are passing 20-30 yards from him into the woods to where he is tied up in the backyard. The deer know he isn't a threat so they pay him no mind.
One of these days he's going to get loose and suprise the hell out 'em.
Good luck hunting!

Last edited by eureka77; 10-25-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have had one dog ruin my hunt the bad part about it was there was a person on the other end of the leash walking him. I was hunting some ground that was kind of private but there was a levy that ran next to it and people would run on it and sometime walk their dogs down in the woods. This guy and his dog came walking right under my stand never knew I was there. I softly said something to the guy and he was looking around everywhere trying to figure out where the sound came from but never looked up so I did it to him a couple of times(it was funny to see the guy getting a little scared) then finally I told the guy to look up and thanked him for ruining my hunt for the nite. Went back to that stand 2 days later and shot a doe out of it. If the deer have seen these dogs in there before it will not keep them from going that way when they are not around.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

This guy and his dog came walking right under my stand never knew I was there. I softly said something to the guy and he was looking around everywhere trying to figure out where the sound came from but never looked up so I did it to him a couple of times.....
Old 10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like beagle behavior to me! Once those things get a whiff of anything you won't be able to get them in for a half hour.