Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shot bear twice, need help >

Shot bear twice, need help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot bear twice, need help

Old 10-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Spike

Default Shot bear twice, need help

I hit a black bear with my bow tonight at 5:45 in western ny. The first 25 yard shot was a little far back but good for height. It was slightly quartering away. Got about 10-12" penatration. No smell to the blood on the arrow. Ok blood trail for the fist 10 yard then found arrow and backed out. The bear snapped and growled when hit.Then ran about 10 yards then curled up (poss pulling out arrow?) for 5 seconds then walked for 25 yards stopping twice for a few seconds. Then i shot it again in about the same spot on the body as the first at about 30 yards broadside. The bear did not snap and growl when hit the second time. It sounded like it ran a few yards down to a small creek and did not hear anymore noise. It was raining before i shot so the leaves were not crunchy. I left the stand at 6:20 and checked my first shot on the way out . Any idea on what i may have hit? Little info on the web for bear tracking. Would the arrow smell if i hit the liver. Would you get any blood if you hit the guts? Will this bear be dead in the morning?

Last edited by skillet01; 10-23-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have any answers for you, but I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't be going back looking for it with a bow in my hand.... If its still alive, its probably pretty pissed off, I wouldn't want to jump it in the thicket with a bow.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Liver shots are deadly! If the shot was really just "a little far back" and it was quartering away and you got at least 10" of penetration , it should be dead. keep an arrow knocked when you look for em, good luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

didu find him
Old 10-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Spike

Looked for 10 hours today. Had six guys for 6 hours and called two blood dogs in to help for the last 4 hours. We tracked the bear for about 3 miles with the help of the dogs and had ok blood most of the way. However the bear never laid down. With about 1/2hour of daylight left we called the search off. The bear headed deeper into the woods and we headed back to the truck over an hour away. If we would have found my bear back there it would take a day or two to get it out. Steep hills about 300'
Thought we had him ,then we did'nt. This last 24 hours will wear a guy out. What a day . What a day

Last edited by skillet01; 10-24-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Are you going to keep searching.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Spike

Not likley the bear was going onto posted property (300ac.)The (13) guys that own it are a piece of work. They won't let the dogs on their land. It could take a month to get permission with that many guys having a say.

Last edited by skillet01; 10-24-2010 at 05:58 PM.