Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
The Rules of the Property. >

The Rules of the Property.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Rules of the Property.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default The Rules of the Property.

This is purely a vent post, but I need to get it out. A couple years ago my Dad and I got some property. It isn't much, only 22 acres, but it ours and we take pride in it. There are only 6 people allowed to hunt the property Me, Dad, my good friend, and three family members. We came up with rules that everyone must follow.

1. You must call me or my Dad and let us know you are hunting the property. This rule applies to everyone except my one relative and my friend. Both of those guys have to be accompanied by either me or my Dad to hunt.

2. No fawns...period.

3. No shots over 25 yards.

4. Do not shoot at a deer that is on the neighbors land.

Pretty simple rules I think. My Dad and I own the land and we adhere to these rules, so you would think the guests would too. Evidently not.

My one family member has not called me or Dad at all this season when that person is going out to hunt. That person sends e-mails to my Dad, which he does not regularly check. The family member has been told several times to call, but that person won't do it.

The same family member is addiment that their shooting ability is out to 45 yards. I can attest first hand that this is not the case. I have known this person to wound several deer between 30-45 yards.

And you would think that it's common sense that you don't shoot a deer that is on another person's land. Guess I gave too much credit where credit wasn't due.

This is what my family member tells me last night. That person went out to the property (without calling) at 6 pm. Completely disturbed my Dad's hunt and another family member's hunt. That person is in the stand for 10-15 mins and takes a shot at a doe that is 35 yards due north of his stand...which is on the neighbors property. The arrow connects and the deer jumps, runs a shot bit, then walks away. Oh did I mention that the deer was humped up when it walked away. Anyone that has hunted for more than a few minutes know's what this means.....gut shot. SO my family member climbs down, finds no blood sign, and finds the arrow that has a small amount of blood, some meat, and a thin coat of grease.

Talk about unethical! I am so mad that I want to scream. But, I don't get the final say so on the ordeal. Dad out ranks me. If it were up to me my family member would be barred for life. However, since my Dad has alot of respect for this family members father the decision has been made to have a friendly talk with the family member and give another chance.

To me it's three strikes and you are out. Plus, this is not the first time that this family member has done some shananagans. Im fed up. But what can I do.

I just bought a new bow the other week and want to get the monkey off my back and get the first deer with that bow. I had a shot at a fawn doe the other week and did not take it because it would violate one of our rules. My name is on the title to the property and I didn't break the rules. If anyone could break them it's me and I had the respect and self control not to.

Thanks for reading guys and gals...I feel a bit better. With any luck the deer will be found (doubt it) and this will have a happy ending.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you are in a partnership with your Dad. I would talk with him about the situation and have the guy take a break from hunting there until you feel the problem is resolved. Hunting should be fun and not a problem. If you are encountering problems on your hunting land or within your hunting group you need to make some changes. Sounds like you have given too much access to the property to keep it under control.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, you have a problem. You have very simple rules to follow, and a person who is not doing that.

Do either you or your father have a set of consequences that can be implemented? If not, that might be something that you two can sit down and discuss before talking to this family member.
Than tell them that this is their only warning, violations of any of the rules will carry the following consequences leading to permanent banishment from the property.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

6 guys family or not is 4 to many on 22 acres kick em all out but u and ur dad or say hay guys its tax season ante up compadre
Old 10-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

6 guys is just too many if you ask me. Rules or not, there's going to be conflict on a piece that small with so many guys. I can see how you would be upset about what has happened, and if it were me, that guy would be done hunting with us, family or not.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Well let me start and say that not all six hunt at the same time. There are only 6 people that have access to the land. 99% of the time there are only two out there hunting at the same time. So the problem isn't with too many people.

I agree that a set of consequences need to be established, but like i mentioned earlier I don't have the final say so. My Dad put up the majority of the money when the property was originall bought so I am the JR. partner. It is what it is. And like I also said my Dad has alot of respect for this family members father and I think he is trying to avoid any long term hurt feelings. If it were up to me huntng rights would be revoked, but it's not.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there a way to buy a larger percentage of the value of the land from your father? To establish a better level of responsibility between the two of you?

It can't hurt to talk to him. Sometime feeling have to be hurt, and I think that your fathers friend will understand the situation completely, either that or he's not a true friend.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:39 PM
byg
Spike

I would ask your dad,why make rules if you dont enforce them?
Maybe your dad could talk to the other father he respects so much, and explain before any feelings get hurt. Hard to believe people get the privilage to hunt others land and act like a total a$$. Hope you get it worked out
Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with you as well. Just do it tactfully cause it is family and they should always be there for ya long after hunting season is over. Just don't burn no bridges unless ya have to.
It's none of my buisness though, not trying to butt in or be rude.
Good luck hunting!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say give the rules printed on paper have him sign. let him know it's a contract and if he breaks them. Regretfully you will have to tell him to find a new place to hunt. Then he has no one but himself to blame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.