Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Using a decoy

Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Using a decoy

Just wanted to get some advice on using a decoy. This will be the first year that I use one and have heard different stories both pro and con on using them. Not really sure how to set it up if I should have it facing me or away if it is to early to start using one. Any help or tips would be great.

thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Spike

what decoy is it? buck or doe? im looking at getting that scarface from primos this year. and a doe decoy as well so it looks like the buck is tending the doe. theres a couple of big open fields that the combo should draw in some boys from across the field
Old 10-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

subscribed...
Old 10-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used my MacKenzie last year. I have a small 6 point come check it out. He came within bow range, but I let him walk. Only to be shot by the guy in the next field during gun season. I haven't tried taking it out this year yet. I have been seeing deer up until yesterday. Now I'm not seeing anthing.... Dam full moon.....
Old 10-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Attachment 13172
Originally Posted by rg87
what decoy is it? buck or doe? im looking at getting that scarface from primos this year. and a doe decoy as well so it looks like the buck is tending the doe. theres a couple of big open fields that the combo should draw in some boys from across the field

Well I use my buddies scarface decoy but I also have a carrylite decoy that I have to get some parts for ie. ears tail and antlers(let a buddy borrow it and he lost them). I have had a decoy for a couple years now but never used it and didn't get to hunt last year being overseas. attached is a picture of the spot that I am going to try it out on let me know what you think. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
untitled.jpg (13.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

V8 I have been seeing deer but the only deer that I have had come into bow range are young does and two little bucks. Had a definet shooter chase three little bucks acroos the alfalfa field about 90yds from my stand I grunted but he wanted nothing to do with me and commenced to chasing those littler bucks off of that field. he stopped for 5 seconds then took off running again, I think if I would have had the decoy out he might have came over but since he didn't see anything he didn't bother. But I have also heard that decoys can scare bucks out of an area also
Old 10-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

The most important aspect of a decoy is placing it where a potential target will see it. Placing the decoy in a bunch of brush or right in front of your favorite tree won't likely pique the interest of a passing buck. Instead, according to Nodak Outdoors, place the decoy in places that deer are known to use for bedding down, traveling and feeding--in that order.
Placing the decoy in areas where other deer frequent makes the most sense because deer are habitual creatures, often visiting the same areas at the same time each week. Other deer will be less suspicious of the decoy if it is placed in a familiar place.
Don't place a bedded-down-style decoy on a traveling trail, however, as Bowhunting.net notes that it is unnatural and could potentially keep deer away from the area instead of drawing them near.
If using a doe decoy, place it so the back end of the doe is nearest where you are hunting from, as a buck will walk behind a doe to scent it and, of course, mount it. A buck decoy should be set facing toward you, as another buck will take on a challenge head on.Hope this helps see the link below to assist you further.

Read more: Deer Decoy Tips | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5407979_deer...#ixzz138g5QkjL

And G/L!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Damon thanks alot that is very helpfull