Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
My first deer kill >

My first deer kill

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first deer kill

Old 10-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Spike

Default My first deer kill

Been bow hunting for 3 years and killed my first ever deer before dark last night during the opening day of the 2010 West Virginia Bow Season.

She came in around 5:30 around a thicket of laurals and stopped dead in her tracks at about 30 yards and looked behind her. I noticed a second deer approaching. She continued on another 3 or 4 steps and looked back again. When she had both ears pointing the opposite direction I stood up and drew back. 3 seconds later I let the arrow fly. I heard a thud sound and she lowered to the ground and started scampering off into the laurals really low to the ground with her tail tucked. I heard her for another second or two then silence. I did not know if she ran out of range or if she crashed. I got down at dark and could not find any blood or my arrow. I decided to come home and let it be overnight. I went back in this morning and still no arrow. My wife went with me and we found a few drops of blood at the point of where she entered the laurals. As we progressed the blood got thicker and boom there she was not 30 yards ahead. She ran a total of 70 yards from where I hit her. I hit her directly behind her right shoulder and the exit hole was about middle of the way back. My arrow was a passthrough all the way to the fletchings but the arrow was still in her sticking out the other side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
My first deer.jpg (20.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg
My first deer 2.jpg (20.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 10-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!! Good to see another WV hunter.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

WTG!! congrats on your first..... No that you have that out of the way, go after that buck.... Congrats again to you...
Old 10-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats! Wonderful feeling isn't it!?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats..
Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on your first bow kill!! Think it took me a couple yrs till i got mine too. Just a suggestion though...I know on my first one or two deer I was so excited I really didn't think about the pictures, till it was in the truck. Since then I like to take just a few minutes and try to take a couple nice photos of me and the deer. congrats again!