Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

young hunters

Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Spike

Default young hunters

hello fellow hunters

here is the deal...im a 16 year old teen and i think its pretty sad that i have no friends and i mean none that hunt or know anything about hunting. yeah there are older people that hunt but i think that younger people should get in it too not just near me but every where...granted i live in mass but still... anyone have any ideas on how i can do something to change this. plz any ideas will help
Old 10-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Who taught you to hunt or got you started in it?

Maybe they have friends with kids who also love to hunt, might strike up a conversation with them about hunting.

My brother in law got me into hunting at 12. After they divorced (I was 20 or so) I kept on doing it by myself, and did so for 10yrs. I got friends at work that hunt also but no where near where I live. My nephew was interested and asked me if he could go. So for the past couple yrs I passed on my knowledge to him been helping him.

My son will be 6 next month and with me in the woods after archery season. Just too hot right now to be in a blind and I don't have any two man stands yet.

Got to pass the torch on and be a mentor to those who wanna go.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Spike

i been out hunting since i was 5 but i just recently started hunting on my own
Old 10-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

My sons first deer I was laying on my belly and he was laying on my back. I held the gun and told him when to pull the trigger. He was 3 years old and has been my best hunting partner ever since. He is 14 now and can out hunt me most days. New hunters need an adult or someone with a lot of experience when they start out. A bunch of kids together especially with no experience would be asking for trouble. Find some adults willing to help and go from there.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Spike

ok ty very much and thats how me and my dad was
Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Spike

I know how you feel. I'm 17, and I finally killed my first deer last year after 5 years of hunting. Hunting and being outdoors goes back a long way in my family, and I suppose I was born with this flaming desire to be outside. All my friends love being outside too, but for some reason, none of them hunt. Mabye its just cause they have nowhere to hunt, but I think its something almost anyone could enjoy. Plus, it never hurts to know how to handle a good shootin' arm.