Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Can You Guess What Broadhead Made This Hole? (Graphic) >

Can You Guess What Broadhead Made This Hole? (Graphic)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can You Guess What Broadhead Made This Hole? (Graphic)

Old 10-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ranger77
when you see the results, when obviously one blows through and the other doesn't and you don't think it means anything?

end of debate right there, because when reason and logic is tossed aside, you can't do anything at that point guys
You can use your field point comparison now, I'm sure the field point would have done better than both Slick Trick and Rage when shooting into plywood. That just shows you the plywood test doesn't mean a lot when you are trying to cut a whole through a deer. I'll Rage ON!!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have been using the Rage 2 blade for 3 years, and with 11 deer shot only 2 did not have a pass thru, and that was due to poor shoot placement, 2 spine shots.
I have had no issues with the blades opening before or during the shot.
Use what you like.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

As many people have said...TO EACH THEIR OWN!... now can we move on?

great shot LKNCHOPPERS!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet a field point WOULD have penetrated farther than the Rage .... but regardless, the Rage was a disaster wasn't it?

C'mon, its not hard to admit they are very poor at penetrating qualities - I mean they're designed only to work well on perfect shots, and often shots are not perfect in the field.

That's why they fail for so many people.

Find me threads on Slick Trick's failing ... you might find one or two complaints, I can find literally hundreds and hundreds on the rage failing.

Coincidence?

C'mon - you know it, I know it, everyone knows the facts on them, and mechanicals in general. Great marketing gimmic, makes lots of money for a few people, results in a lot of lost deer too

There is a reason some states don't allow them for elk, there is a reason African nations don't allow them .... they simply don't penetrate well compared to other broadheads.

Can you kill animals with them? SURE YOU CAN! You can kill animals with a Puckett's Elk Head too - don't mean they're good penetrating head or a good choice either.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

not too hard to guess was it!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet a field point WOULD have penetrated farther than the Rage .... but regardless, the Rage was a disaster wasn't it?

C'mon, its not hard to admit they are very poor at penetrating qualities - I mean they're designed only to work well on perfect shots, and often shots are not perfect in the field.

Find me threads on Slick Trick's failing ... you might find one or two complaints, I can find literally hundreds and hundreds on the rage failing.

Coincidence?

C'mon - you know it, I know it, everyone knows the facts on them, and mechanicals in general. Great marketing gimmic, makes lots of money for a few people, results in a lot of lost deer too

There is a reason some states don't allow them for elk, there is a reason African nations don't allow them .... they simply don't penetrate well compared to other broadheads.

Can you kill animals with them? SURE YOU CAN! You can kill animals with a Puckett's Elk Head too - don't mean they're good penetrating head or a good choice either.
I thought you gave up on me becuse I wasn't logical.

A field point would have penetrated better than the Rage and the Slick Trick because it has less drag, isn't that obvious?

There are heads made for better penetration and they are COC with smaller blades, it's a simple concept really. Razor sharp point with 2 blades ,you are going to push an arrow through a deer with less force. But there is a balance you can strike between having a larger cutting area while still maintaining enough force to get a passthru. I choose to use the Rage because it yields a wide wound channel and still passes thru easily with my setup. I don't need to have my arrows stick into the ground any deeper. I will take a nice blood trail.

As for complaints - The truth is that there are many more people shooting Rage heads than Slick Tricks due to the marketing and availability, with this you will have more complaints. Some heads are made for more penetration like the Magnus Stinger, if you shoot less poundage those are better for that application. I don't need a head that can shoot through a piece of plywood or a concrete block. I prefer a head that makes a big hole in a whitetail and will passthru easily for me ( I have demonstrated that they work for me and none were perfect broadside shots). I'm not trying just to kill the animal, I would like an easy recovery as well.

Good Luck Hunting.

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 10-12-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

5,000,000 hunters can't be wrong!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Coincidence?

Are you a BH designer?

Yeah, the work so bad the guys on tv are risking there livlihood and reputation on a piece of junk BH that loses deer?

You sound like another one of those guys who NEVER used the head but acts like they know what they're talking about.

Go waste your time someplace else and leave the Rage threads alone. You don't have the KNOWLEGDE or CREDIBILTY on the subject. That's all you have is words.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lknchoppers
i thought you gave up on me becuse i wasn't logical.

A field point would have penetrated better than the rage and the slick trick because it has less drag, isn't that obvious?

There are heads made for better penetration and they are coc with smaller blades, it's a simple concept really. Razor sharp point with 2 blades ,you are going to push an arrow through a deer with less force. But there is a balance you can strike between having a larger cutting area while still maintaining enough force to get a passthru. I choose to use the rage because it yields a wide wound channel and still passes thru easily with my setup. I don't need to have my arrows stick into the ground any deeper. I will take a nice blood trail.

As for complaints - the truth is that there are many more people shooting rage heads than slick tricks due to the marketing and availability, with this you will have more complaints. Some heads are made for more penetration like the magnus stinger, if you shoot less poundage those are better for that application. I don't need a head that can shoot through a piece of plywood or a concrete block. I prefer a head that makes a big hole in a whitetail and will passthru easily for me ( i have demonstrated that they work for me and none were perfect broadside shots). I'm not trying just to kill the animal, i would like an easy recovery as well.

Good luck hunting.
very well said!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

A field tip will never penetrate an animal, steel drums, or ply wood farther than a good fixed blade broadhead.

To demonstrate this after reading the posts above I shot them through some 3/4" particle board. I used a 100 grain field tip, slick trick, razor cap, and steel force serrated 4 blade. I don't have any Rage or other mechanicals at my house because I don't believe in them so i couldn't shoot them tonight. I'll bring one or two home and shoot them tomorrow if anyone would like to see the results.

The field tip stopped about 3/4's the arrows length.
The slick trick completely passed thru the board 6 times with hardly a scratch. (I used the same Slick Trick for all 6 shots BTW, not 6 different broadheads)
I only shot the other two broadheads once.
The Razor cap passed thru with out a scratch
The Steel force stopped about 2/3's the arrows length with out a scratch.

This is why I use Slick Tricks. They cut more tissue than a 2" wide two blade and the penetrate better than a 2" wide two blade through everything I have ever tested them in.

BTW the arrows were Easton axis 300's which weigh 520 grain total.
The bow is a Bowtech Destroyer 340 70lbs, 30" dl
Speed is 277 fps.

AS a side note Blazer vanes really hold up to being shot through stuff. I finally lost a single vane after the 6th shot through the board.

Last edited by bigbulls; 10-13-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.