Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how do you do it >

how do you do it

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how do you do it

Old 10-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
My rope stay out on my stands 24/7. Then I leave it up top with me after I pull my bow up.
x2. Kinda befuddles me someone would call a rope a scent wick? One, i use gloves...two...wouldn't every other tihng you touch than become a "scent wick"?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

wouldn't every other tihng you touch than become a "scent wick"?
Yes ..........they will. Not necessarily flopping in the breeze just above ground level though. And not sitting there 24/7 flopping in the breeze after you touch it and leave some sort of scent on it (gloves or not). Also some materials disperse scents more than others. Also you can't teleport to your stand so you dont' have much of a choice but to climb it. And you're taking all the other "scent stuff you touch" back out with you (for the most part) But you can do everything else you can to not add anymore (ie: rope dangling around your tree after your grubby paws just touched the whole length of it). The most overlooked part of scent control is all the gadgets, packs, calls, and equipment we bring into the woods. Just as important IMO. You can be 99% scent free with all your clothing washed, sprayed down, boots, etc.... then have a stinking grunt, bow, rope, backpack etc..... It all matters. JMO ..... do your own thing.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NY Bowhunter
Yes ..........they will. Not necessarily flopping in the breeze just above ground level though. And not sitting there 24/7 flopping in the breeze after you touch it and leave some sort of scent on it (gloves or not). Also some materials disperse scents more than others. Also you can't teleport to your stand so you dont' have much of a choice but to climb it. And you're taking all the other "scent stuff you touch" back out with you (for the most part) But you can do everything else you can to not add anymore (ie: rope dangling around your tree after your grubby paws just touched the whole length of it). The most overlooked part of scent control is all the gadgets, packs, calls, and equipment we bring into the woods. Just as important IMO. You can be 99% scent free with all your clothing washed, sprayed down, boots, etc.... then have a stinking grunt, bow, rope, backpack etc..... It all matters. JMO ..... do your own thing.
I don't leave the rope just dangling there...? I have 5 nails from the base of my stand to the top. After I let the bow down I will wrap the rope around each nail once, making it tight to the stand. Then, at the base just clip the carabiner to a bent nail so it won't fall off. I guess there's more to it than i previously explained. Also, I use the same gloves that i climb into my stand with....touching everything else...I don't get what your point is, do you spray your grunt, rattling horns, bow, and backpack down too? Or do you not bother with it and just think that the rope will release more scent then them?
Old 10-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

A Rope mostly. Surprised no one mentioned how. I tie a loop big enough to fit over the cam, put the loop under the cam and flip it over the cam. When you pull the rope it can't come undone and when you reach the top all it takes is to flip the loop of the cam and the ropes free. No fumbling around with knots and limited scent.

I would suggest using a bolin knot on just about everything. It won't come a part unless you want it to. It will always come undone quickly.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is exactly how i do it . with a loop there is no fumbling to clip or tie knots.
You can easily do it with gloves on . comes off just as quick,
use a rope . don't carry it up with you that is just asking for trouble
Old 10-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

I use parachute cord with a loop over the cam. The cord goes back in my pack once the bow is pulled up.

NY Bowhunter... You've bashed the rope as a scent wick but never explained your system.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

I use a rope with a clip on the end and clip it to the top cam then climb up with the rope attached to me and pull it up when i get up. And the rope goes back into my pack after i pull my bow up.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have been using decoy line tied with a little clip for about 20 years now. Fits in the fanny pack perfect.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

Small dia. rope with a clip on it and it gets taken care of just like the rest of my hunting cloths as far as scent and descenting
Old 10-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have video of 3 deer at the same time walking right buy my stand, and my rope is clipped to one of the guide straps of the stand. My rope is only down when I'm not there. Mine is a parachute cord also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.