Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
USEFUL??? iPhone applications for hunters >

USEFUL??? iPhone applications for hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

USEFUL??? iPhone applications for hunters

Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Spike

Default USEFUL??? iPhone applications for hunters

Fellow Outdoor enthusiasts,

I bought the new iphone and for the last few months I have been looking at applications for hunting. I have seen a few articles and postings online about hunting apps but I have to admit that I have been continually dissappointed on what is out there. Perhaps it is the fault of the itunes database that even when I search through specific catagories it seems I have to scroll through countless versions of shooting games before I find something of real use.

There are a lot of game calls but these are not only illegal to use but obviously useless in the field. BUT, Having said all that, there are some pretty cool applications for the outdoorsman and I would be interested to hear others thoughts on this subject.

I just downloaded something called Game Ranger and it is exactly the type of thing I am looking for. A simple to use rangefinder that lets the hunter pinch shoulder lines or big game silhouettes against the background to find distance. There are also hunting information applications about identifying tracks, legal information and an SAS survival guide. There is an isolunar app that provides peak times to hunt and fish. Hunting bag allows you to keep track of your game tally.

But really, I think there is a lot more potential for this technology to provide some real utilities for us sportsmen in the field and besides games, calls and calendars, I think there is a lot of room for someone to create more useful and practical applications like the Game Ranger application I mentioned. Consider it a challenge...

If anyone knows of some USEFUL applications out there please let us all know!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I'd love to hear too. I want a good hunting journal. So I could keep things like sightings, date/time, wind, moon, etc. Pictures would be nice too.

I can't find anything good. May have to build one.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

I just downloaded GPS MotionX on my iPhone. It's not hunting specific but you can view satelite images of your hunting area and save locations or routes. I plan to mark scrapes, rubs, trails; things like that. Not sure how it will work just yet, but going to give it a try. The only problem with it is, the area I hunt doesn't have very good cell phone coverage so it takes a while to load. I think the app was $2.99.