Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

good choice?

Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

Thank you guys i appreciate the input. I think i made the correct decision.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

I had the same opportunity as you, I drew back and everythign on the big doe. But in the end i just couldnt do it. I let them go and live another day, I guess it just coem down to what u think in the end. Would they have survived? probably but i juts couldnt get my self to release the arrow on their mother...in the end it just coem down to what u think...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's really up to you!

Biologically the fawns are yearlings and they are weaned and can live without Mom. If they were button bucks, they will be chased off shortly.

If you would feel bad or guilty, then you did the right thing
Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Around our area if we didn't shoot doe's with fawns we would never shoot a doe! This years fawns would be just fine, and like someone else said you shoot the adult doe your buck fawns will stay in the area. Anytime we see a doe with a buck fawn we take her out and it shows in our area. Even during spring and summer those old swamp slut doe's will run the bucks out of an area.................so take em out!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow it always amazes me by how many hunters know very little about the animal they are hunting... Why do you think seasons are set when they are set?? They are set by wildlife biologists and managers and are set in accordance to ethical harvest of a species to allow for the species to be managed and benefit from the harvesting. You really think youd be allowed to shoot an animal in a regular season if its babies were going to suffer and die?? NO. Fawns are no longer dependent on does well before the season starts... Now weather you wanna harvest that doe as a hunter is a choice call not a judgement call as to weather the fawns will "make it". I have no problem shooting does with fawns. Never thought twice about it. If I waited to harvest a doe with no fawns it would be pretty frustrating trying to find a couple to shoot each year haha. Maybe its just the wildlife management and ecology backround in me but I look at hunting from alot of different angles when it comes to harvesting.

Last edited by wingchaser_labs; 10-06-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the fawns do not have spots then the doe gets whacked.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Spike

Calm down there wing chaser it was a simple question i suppose not all of us have your back ground?, i appreciate the input. I am more worried about the fact that the mother is a body guard at this point not as a food source.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry. I'm not worked up and you have every right to ask and educate yourself on the subject. Its not your question but the fact that people throw out info on subjects they don't have a clue about gets irritating. Rant over, lol.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

I would have taken the shot. The doe i shot 2 years ago had a fawn with her. It was a button buck, i know for a fact he made it through deer season. I saw him the last day of muzzleloader. He was always in the same general area it seemed. I'm with bigbulls, if there isn't spots i let her fly. I don't get many opportunites for a shot, so i take what i can get. I hunted 40 plus days last year without a single shot. Hopefully this year will be better.