Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blinds?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ground Blinds?

I have a Dark Horse Double Bull blind and I want to set it up on a food plot where i can't climb. I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck hunting from a ground blind and how you went about setting it up, brushing it in... etc. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have had alot of deer including mature bucks come in close to a ground blind. I like to find a low hanging tree limb and pop my blind up under it so that the branch covers the top of my blind and some of the sides if its big enough. Then brush it in like there is no tomorrow. Turkeys don't care if a blind is brushed in or not but deer definitely do. Just grab vegetation from around the blind and somehow attach it to your blind. You will really need it brushed in good to work for deer, and it might take a little bit for them to get used to it.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

Ground blinds are awesome, makes for some real exciting hunts, the adrenalin really flows! When your brushing it in be careful your branchs wont cave it in over time. I usally leave mine set-up for a long time and if I use bigger branchs I have had them colapse the blind. Like Waldo said, put it under an exsisting branch and use that branch to support others. Good luck...........kill a big one
Old 10-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

I plan on using one in Nov for my sons first Youth Hunt.... We shall see, my uncles uses them a lot in VA but they are rifle hunting there where as we are shotgun hunting here in MD.

I just hope the boy can sit still......

Good luck on your hunt.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

I used a ground blind for the first time last season, though not for bow hunting. I had deer within 20 yards and they never even noticed me. I didn't brush my blind in either.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advise guys, have any of you popped them up and hunted them the same day?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

I have popped one up and hunted it right then. But like I said before, I really think you need to brush it in. If its a mature deer your going after, then they arent going to walk within bow range of something new thats not brushed in.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunt or Die
Thanks for the advise guys, have any of you popped them up and hunted them the same day?
I hunted from a blind for the first time last year. Popped it up, my wife and I climbed in and I shot a small buck out of it an hour or so later. I left it there and shot a doe out of it at 20 yards and passed up other does. My blind was even mostly in the open. I had it next to a large bush and a tree that otherwise is in a wide open field.

I am a convert and hope to bag another deer or two out of the blind this season.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

For me it depends on the season you hunt and what the ground is going to look like... i have a 6x8 blind that is painted black on the inside and white on the outside.. just because i start hunting more and more in the winter time... the best thing i think to do is set up you blind and see how it looks in the area if its obvious its there blend it in with the surrounding.. never hunted the blind the same day i give about 3 days for the animal to get used to it then its off to the arrows flying.