Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Cant sleep! help please. >

Cant sleep! help please.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cant sleep! help please.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cant sleep! help please.

I shot a buck tonight. I thought i hit him real good double lung I thought. I followed his blood trail for about 600 yards little spots here and there begining was heavier then died down. As we were following trail we found a spot were the deer had the runs idk if thats a good sign or not. I geuss im just looking for any opinions on if i will find this deer in the morning. The blood was a red color looked kinda pink to. didnt smell at all.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe you just got one lung. Take up the search again today and maybe you'll have a little better luck if you didn't push him too much last night. Did you find your arrow?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

More info might help..What time did you shoot him..How long did you wait before you took up the trail..Did you find the arrow..More details!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't hit the sweet spot, or you don't hear them fall. ALWAYS wait a couple hours before going looking. With it being an evening hunt, just back out and look in the morning. Thats why I hate hunting evenings. A not so perfect shot will leave you sleepless that night, lol.... I'm sure its dead somewhere, its just hoping you didn't push him to the next county. Look for where all the crow are also. Maybe they found him..
Old 10-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Fork Horn

Yes i found the arrow it was a complete pass thru. I waited 40 mins because i thought i had heard the deer crash and i thought it was a great shot. Befor we really got on the blood trail it was probly a hour or so if not longer.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you were tracking him the 600 yrds did he happen to circle back around out was it a stright line away from you? And was there any pools of blood when you were tracking him.."like he bedded down or stopped and you bumped him" any sign of that??

But like said earlier, I would take the trail back up to where you last had blood, and take it slow, and look for the Crows or buzzards, but your in Vermont so its cold enough up there for the deer to be OK overnight..

Good LUCK!!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Spike

sorry to bring up an old thread, but did you ever find him?
Old 10-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh No worries, i was wondering the same thing??
Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Spike

I think it should be mandatory to post followups. We all want to know the outcome.Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Spike

The same thing happened with me last year with a doe. The arrow went completely through and I was sure I made a great shot. I gave the deer some time, then me and my uncle went tracking. It was mainly just tiny spots here and there with one small puddle of blood, then spots again. We saw two places where the leaves were pressed down, where the deer probably layed down to stop the bleeding. I think we jumped her up cause we heard what sounded like a deer running away when we came to some thick cover.

Anyway, the deer just quit bleeding after about half a mile, and we never did find it. We had guessed I just got one lung and then didn't give the deer enough time befor we tracked it. But I suppose that's one of those things that can happen occasionally.

Hope you found him!