Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
should I go back to the same tree. >

should I go back to the same tree.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

should I go back to the same tree.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default should I go back to the same tree.

Ok first two seasons ago someone stole my ladder from my stand. . Last year I left it in till mid april and the grabbed it. The first time it was on a creek the second just down the road on a field but in the woods. I would guess 300 yards apart.

I went out and ran some roads checking some fields and with some beans in corn still up the only place that is still standing is beans where it was stolen last year.

I did not get any scouting in yet but know the area. I bougt a pop up but am going to pick up a new ladder this weekend.

Would you stick it back in the same spot you had one stolen from. Last year I got 2 shots on big does and hit a small one. The area put alot in front of me but either a miss or a issue like limbs or what ever keep me from shooting. So it should work this year.

What would you do? Last year I welded the stand and used a cable lock to no effects.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Spike

If you are willing and able, i would seriously consider using some type of portable stand that you can put up and take down with some ease. Not only would you be more mobile but it would also save you from people taking your stands.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

get a chain welded to one side of the stand at the top and get a 1 link welded on the other...put the chain around the tree and lock it in the 1 link with a padlock...this is a saftey feature as well as security
Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

VEry goof idea, I plan on taking my stand in to weld it like before and have some beefy chains. I know I can get cut broke locks. All I really need to know is how long the chain would need to be. Which can be done by re measuring where the stand would sit.
Originally Posted by syrupman
get a chain welded to one side of the stand at the top and get a 1 link welded on the other...put the chain around the tree and lock it in the 1 link with a padlock...this is a saftey feature as well as security
Old 09-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not an option, I am to big for the hang ons and climbers, if I could I would trust me.
Originally Posted by DeBauche11
If you are willing and able, i would seriously consider using some type of portable stand that you can put up and take down with some ease. Not only would you be more mobile but it would also save you from people taking your stands.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

yea i would put it back up and do some of the ideas the others were talking about but would also put up a hidden trail cam watching it and catch whoever it was and have them arrested!!!! put it up a tree bout 15 foot to where they would probably not notice it and if they did it would be to high to reach!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, though they could use the stand to get to the cam
Originally Posted by BIGBUCK17
yea i would put it back up and do some of the ideas the others were talking about but would also put up a hidden trail cam watching it and catch whoever it was and have them arrested!!!! put it up a tree bout 15 foot to where they would probably not notice it and if they did it would be to high to reach!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

Is that spot that valuable/productive that it's worth the hassle? If not, I'd just find another spot and eliminate all the trouble. Some spots just aren't worth that much effort. I've had problems like that in the past, and have just moved on to greener pastures (or used a climbing stand). I figure that if it's going to affect my enjoyment of the hunt, it's not worth it.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was just going to say the same thing. I can hunt it with my blind. I think I will scout a area I have been wanting to check out anyway. I never see people there and it should work. If not I think I will hold out a week or two and see what I find when hunting. I know a great area but it is hunted alot and likely to be the same people. Still think I will go with a chain but move it.
Originally Posted by UPHunter08
Is that spot that valuable/productive that it's worth the hassle? If not, I'd just find another spot and eliminate all the trouble. Some spots just aren't worth that much effort. I've had problems like that in the past, and have just moved on to greener pastures (or used a climbing stand). I figure that if it's going to affect my enjoyment of the hunt, it's not worth it.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also not sure a 150 trail cam is worth the risk for a 100 stand. LEts be honest chain, cable, titanium or what ever if they want it their going to get it. Maybe a gilli suit and a sniper rifle is in order.

Why am I carrying a 308 ar platform sniper rifle in indiana for PROTECTION.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.