Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Destroyer/Striker >

Destroyer/Striker

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Destroyer/Striker

Old 09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Unhappy Destroyer/Striker

I just picked up a Destroyer 350, and am having problems with the broadheads flying true. They're g5 striker 100 grain heads. They flew perfect from my diamond victory, but are erratic from the destroyer. I'm also using a new arrow. The victory armor piercing. The dealer said I might have this problem cause of the extra speed with the destroyer, but honestly I was skeptical. Anybody else seen this problem? I really don't want to switch to mechanical heads but that's what the dealer suggested from the get-go.

Destroyer 350, 29" draw, VAP V6, 350 spline arrows with blazer style, offset veins.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

by the sound of erratic flight it could be that you are torquing your bow which is causing them to not hit the same. also you need to tune your bh to your field points. another thing to check is do a spin test with your bh on to make sure they are in perfect alignment with your shaft. You also may have spine issues or may need a heavier arrow since you are shooting a really fast bow. easton has a tuning guide you can look at on how to tune your bh. hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Draw weight and arrow length?? If your shooting this bow at 65 pounds or more and you dealer set you up with a 350 spined arrow... he's an idiot. I suggest that he set you up with properly spined arrows from the get go.

You are also going to have to be meticulous with broadhead alignment because of the long insert/outsert that those armor piercing arrows use. Any minor misalignment with the insert to the shaft will be huge at the broadhead. You must ensure that the broadhead is spinning perfectly with the axis of the shaft. If it isn't you will never get good arrow flight.

The dealer is right in that as speed increases broadhead flight gets more and more finicky. That's why I set up my arrows to shoot 270 - 280 fps. For instance I am shooting the destroyer 340. I built my arrows to weigh in the neighborhood of 525 grains and they are shooting 277 fps. Arrow flight is perfect with field tips and broadheads. I have done the speed thing and the little gain in trajectory isn't worth all the extra aggrivation.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have the destroyer 340, I am going with Bloodrunner 3-blade--you get the best of both worlds-fixed-expandable. They shot great out of my bow
Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Draw weight and arrow length?? If your shooting this bow at 65 pounds or more and you dealer set you up with a 350 spined arrow... he's an idiot. I suggest that he set you up with properly spined arrows from the get go.

You are also going to have to be meticulous with broadhead alignment because of the long insert/outsert that those armor piercing arrows use. Any minor misalignment with the insert to the shaft will be huge at the broadhead. You must ensure that the broadhead is spinning perfectly with the axis of the shaft. If it isn't you will never get good arrow flight.

The dealer is right in that as speed increases broadhead flight gets more and more finicky. That's why I set up my arrows to shoot 270 - 280 fps. For instance I am shooting the destroyer 340. I built my arrows to weigh in the neighborhood of 525 grains and they are shooting 277 fps. Arrow flight is perfect with field tips and broadheads. I have done the speed thing and the little gain in trajectory isn't worth all the extra aggrivation.
Thats also a sublte 85.5#'s of KE with a freaking TON of momentum!!! Nice setup, I like your style. Last year I was shooting a 530gr setup at 287(97#'s)... Its great to solidify a pass through pretty much regardless of point of impact

To the OP, I would say that its just as he said, either poor bh alignment due to the outsert, or its a really weak arrow...
Old 09-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats also a sublte 85.5#'s of KE with a freaking TON of momentum!!! Nice setup, I like your style. Last year I was shooting a 530gr setup at 287(97#'s)... Its great to solidify a pass through pretty much regardless of point of impact
Amen brother! About the only shots I won't take with this set up are straight away or straight on. If I can get into both lungs and/or heart on a deer I'm shooting regardless of what bones are in the way.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

As usual, bigbulls you're right in my wheelhouse! I'm shooting 545 grs at 261 this year with my Commander, but just bought a Maxxis 35 to tinker with this winter, and I should get up around 272 fps or so with that rig. I've got a dozen of the new FMJ Dangerous Game arrows in 300 spine. They are 15.5 gpi, which i didn't realize, because the old FMJ 300's were 12.1, so we shall see how they work.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought a Destroyer 340. I am shooting beman ICS 340 arrows at 30" long and a thunderhead 100. I am not having any issues with the flight. I will say that if I do not hold real good that it effects the way it flies, it is more noticable than any other bow that I have ever owned.

I would like heavier arrows but I did not want to change this close to the season! As long as it is flying good and grouping good I will well enough alone!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Im shooting 71.4 lbs, and its the arrow spec'd on victory's chart. My dealer is on the bowtech advisory staff, so I don't think he's an idiot either. Plus they fly great with field points, just as accurate as my last 2 bows, right out of the box. How should I check the alignment on the BH? Im suspecting that might be the problem cause when I screwed them into my wifes arrows, they also didn't fly great. Im not sure what happened to them, but I'm gonna try a new set today and see what happens.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Im shooting 71.4 lbs, and its the arrow spec'd on victory's chart. My dealer is on the bowtech advisory staff, so I don't think he's an idiot either.
Manufacturers arrow charts mean very little. An arrow that is spined properly for a Parker EZ draw (290IBO) are not going to spine properly for a Bowtech destroyer 350 that has an IBO rating 60fps higher..... at the same draw length, draw weight and arrow length..

Look, advisory staff or not he sold you arrows that are under spined for of 71#, 29", Destroyer 350. You should be shooting an arrow with a .300 spine. Assuming a 28" arrow. If you cut your arrows or draw length to about 26" then the .350 spined arrows will be fine.

Plus they fly great with field points, just as accurate as my last 2 bows, right out of the box.
Not to sound harsh but... who cares? Are you hunting deer with field points?

How should I check the alignment on the BH?
With an arrow spinner. You can make one or buy one.

Last edited by bigbulls; 09-30-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.