Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how to get rid of a black cloud? >

how to get rid of a black cloud?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to get rid of a black cloud?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default how to get rid of a black cloud?

i have a black cloud over me when it comes to shooting something with bone on its head. but if it is a doe there is no worry i can stick those all day long. but to date. 7 years ago i missed a 8 point 4 times with a rifle 20 yards looking through the scope that was dead on at 300, i had mr freak nasty come in didnt feel comfortable with the shot so let'em walk, 2 years ago had a nice 8 point come in with a half rack, last year i had a nice 8 pointer coming right to me and a tree falls down right behind me and spooks the buck then during the rut last year i had a 185+ 10 come in to 40 yards didnt feel comfortable with the shot since there was quite a few twigs that my arrow would have to go through so i let him walk, then tonight had a 160+ buck come in stop at 15 yards to scratch its ear and i went retarted and watched it in stead of sticking it and then it never gave me another opportunity. so how do i get this black cloud away from me? any takers that want it i'll give it away for free? lol
Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Typical Buck

Don't want your cloud but hang in there. I've been hunting for 30 years plus and still have my ups and downs. If it was easy we wouldn't do it. I've killed my share of deer and a few good bucks over the years. I find if something comes in that I'm not shooting like a young buck or a doe after I have my freezer full, I'm calm as can be. Let 'ol Mack Daddy Mossy Horns step out and my heart beats out of my chest. Same thing if I'm meat hunting and it's a doe! When I stop getting fired up....I'll law the bow down.

By the way, not pushing it and taking the marginal shot you mention above is to be comended! Keep doing what your doing and it will happen. Sounds like you are seeing shooters just not getting it all to come together for you. Have fun and good luck.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

most of the time seeing the deer is the easy part just killing them is whats getting me lol
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

That my friend is why it's called "hunting" and not "killing".
Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Fork Horn

and that is why i am obsessed with bow hunting. i guess the saying is true the first buck is the hardiest. i have had opportunity's to take young deer young 8 points and 6 points but i dont wanna shoot a buck that i wont put on the wall. for not having shot one yet i am very picky on what i shoot. dont know if thats good or bad lol
Old 09-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

i had mr freak nasty come in didnt feel comfortable with the shot so let'em walk
That's a good thing, and the sign of a mature hunter IMO. It takes a lot of inner strength to pass on a marginal shot when a big one walks in, so good for you for passing on it.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
That's a good thing, and the sign of a mature hunter IMO. It takes a lot of inner strength to pass on a marginal shot when a big one walks in, so good for you for passing on it.

First off I want to say that I agree with this 100%. With that being said, I'll add this.

Sometimes you have to make the shot happen. So many hunters wait too long for a super perfect shot to present itself and usually that doesn't happen.

You may need to turn completely around backwards,lean to one side or the other or bend your body in all kinds of awkward angles to get the shot.

So many hunters only practice with their bows from a standing position and that's it. You need to practice all kinds of positions. Place your feet in other positions, stoop over, lean to the side, etc... Practice, practice and practice some more.

Not only does this help in the field, it makes practice more interesting. Especially when you practice with buddies. It's fun.

So many times I'd hunt/guide other hunters and see them pass on shots that would have been easy if they just would have practiced from something other than standing with their feet properly placed.

I'm not sure of your practice routine or how you hunt. Just basing my advice on what I see with so many other hunters.

I know I will get slammed for my comments but before you do that read my first sentence again.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
I'm not sure of your practice routine or how you hunt. Just basing my advice on what I see with so many other hunters.
I never said wait for a perfect shot. Like you, I'll readily adjust my position to take shots on deer that come in from unexpected directions...and practice that way as well. I was talking mostly about hunters taking shots that are beyond a range they've practiced at or are comfortable with, or when the deer is at an odd angle (e.g. severely quartering), etc. I just wait for a relatively high odds shot (ie. one I'm comfortable I can make with decent odds of killing the deer).

I know I will get slammed for my comments but before you do that read my first sentence again.
Sure are defensive, eh? j/k Don't automatically assume that someone will be offended by your comment. In this case I agree totally with both your original post as well as your response. But even if I didn't, I wouldn't slam you over it. Everyone here is entitled to an opinion (something I wish a couple of guys here would take to heart...most are really reasonable though).

Not only does this help in the field, it makes practice more interesting. Especially when you practice with buddies. It's fun.
You can play it like a game of HORSE.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just thought others would think I was trying to convince the original poster to take a shot no matter what the circumstances. I'm not saying that of coarse.

I think what the original poster really needs is experience. He needs to start taking does and smaller bucks instead of waiting for a wall hanger for his first buck.

The more deer he gets under his belt the more experience he will gain. We all make mistakes and learn by them.

By taking lesser deer, he'll not only gain experience on things like knowing when to draw, proper shot angles, deers reaction to a hit he'll, etc... also he'll learn about tracking and blood trailing.

He will gain confidence in himself the more deer he takes. Then when that wall hanger appears, he'll know just what to do.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

good advice.
Originally Posted by Windwalker7
I just thought others would think I was trying to convince the original poster to take a shot no matter what the circumstances. I'm not saying that of coarse.

I think what the original poster really needs is experience. He needs to start taking does and smaller bucks instead of waiting for a wall hanger for his first buck.

The more deer he gets under his belt the more experience he will gain. We all make mistakes and learn by them.

By taking lesser deer, he'll not only gain experience on things like knowing when to draw, proper shot angles, deers reaction to a hit he'll, etc... also he'll learn about tracking and blood trailing.

He will gain confidence in himself the more deer he takes. Then when that wall hanger appears, he'll know just what to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.