Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Will grunting this early scare deer? >

Will grunting this early scare deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will grunting this early scare deer?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Heck no!!!! I've shot so many deer with my bow BECAUSE of my grunt call. I get upset if I forget it and have went back for it in the past. Dont get carried away with it, but dont be scared to blow on it!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

no need to call this early.. it won't draw them closer.. I suggest waiting til pre-rut.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

I have drawn several doe in early using a fawn bleat with my True Talker. Tending grunts work great during the rut as I killed the buck in my avatar using the same TT grunt. And just a couple grunts when deer were within sight has brought many a doe and young buck within shooting range for me. That being said, IF you use a dominant buck grunt you may scare some smaller bucks away but, to me that is not an issue.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Spike

Out at 3D coarse today and came upon a big buck laying down. Buck jumped to his feet and hammered down his feet and gave me a huge grunt like I have never heard before. He then hammered his feet again staring at me. I thought he was going to charge me. Then he turned and ran. I could hear him grunting for a good 2 minutes as he was getting farther away. It was very interesting experiance I must say.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer grunt all year, it won't scare them unless they pick you off.

I've shot deer early October after they came in to my grunt call. They will respond more aggressively later in October and into November...but don't be afraid to use it.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by -DeerSlayer-
no need to call this early.. it won't draw them closer.. I suggest waiting til pre-rut.
[
And your a guide? Pre-rut starts as soon as the bucks shed velvet. They break off from the bach groups, start making scrapes (communication scapes) to establish territory. They even spar and rub trees to strengthen neck muscle's. This is all pre-rut!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

You just never know. I tend to be conservative and grunt when it looks like a deer is heading away and there will not be a shot opportunity. Sometimes they come in on a string and other times they just keep going.