Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Looking to Buy First Bow >

Looking to Buy First Bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking to Buy First Bow

Old 09-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike

Default Looking to Buy First Bow

Hi, I'm getting into Bow Hunting and am looking to buy my first bow. I'm looking to buy a bow that can just get me started, nothing too expensive. I've looked at bears because I have heard that they are fairly cheap and are good entry level bow. I also lookd at Diamond's Razor Edge and it looks like a solid bow. My budget is around $500.

(Im 16, 6'3 180 lbs if it matters)
Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those would be good entry level bows. Yes your hieght matters because you need the proper draw length. being that tall you probably have a longer draqw length than most but you should be fitted. there are also some good used bows for sale that you could get in your budget
you may want to go to a local dealer and check out what he has and get a feel of what you may like. try as many as you can around and see what feels good to you
Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

im 5'9 and 150 and i started out with a pse deer hunter i think i paid 300 for it new and shot 6 deer with it there kinda of loud but good starter bow they will kill deer just the same a 1000 dollar bow will
Old 09-24-2010, 04:31 AM
Spike

Thanks to both of you. I used a draw length calculator and found out my draw length is 29.5, so i should be okay. The Razor Edge's max draw length is 29, is the .5 inch a big deal or should i not consider that bow at all.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

most bows you can adjust the draw length so i wouldnt worry about what a bow is currently set at just make sure that you can set it at the 29.5
Old 09-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

I am 19 and was in the same situation about 3 years ago. I wanted a good starter bow, but something that allowed me to still hunt seriously. I went with a new PSE Stinger, I have killed 6 deer with it. It is a great bow and I am still using it. I bought the bare bow for 300 then put almost 200 into accesories, sounds like your price range. If you get on BassPro or Cabelas you can check them out. You can get the ready to shoot package for about 420. GREAT BOW
Old 09-24-2010, 06:29 AM
Spike

Thanks hoosier, ill check that one out. And to harvester, the max draw length of the bow is 29, i can not be set any higher, thats why I was asking if the 1/2 made a difference.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

This is my first yr with a compound. Had a crossbow for 3 yrs I got for a steal to get into archery. Enjoy the compound bow so much more, and sold the crossbow a week after getting my compound.

I was also looking at the Razors Edge, but being there aren't many hunting stores around me let alone a bow shop I went with a Redhead Kronik from bass. They are made by Diamond for bass pro. I have a semi short draw legnth, left handed, and like you didn't want to blow much over $500 to see how I like shooting compound.

it goes up to 30" draw, you can pick 3 different limb poundages (I went with the 60 -70lb) Comes with a Hostage rest, Truglow 3 pin sight. They aren't the top of the line add ons but work just fine for me and where I hunt.

Think the total was $550 for the bow, arrows, case, and release.

I have added a different peep to my bow and got rid of the rubber tubing, put on some cat whisker silencers and put on my own wristsling I learned how to make since getting it back in Feb.

Good luck.

Dave
Old 09-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

So you are 16. My first question would be have you quit growing yet?? If not you should look into the adjustable bows that you don't have to purchase mods or cams for such as like the diamonds. Although it won't matter much as you can only go up a 1/2 inch to 30" in the diamond models. Not sure who else is making the easy adjustable bows but the diamond line is an excellent choice for entry level and even the experienced level. With a razor edge your limited to the 60lb and since you are 180 and 6' 3" I'd think ud easily be in the 60-70lb bow category depending on what your shoulders are like. Ur gonna use muscles uve never used before so much in pulling a bow back. They are a nice bow but for an adult you might try something a little beefier besides your gonna want to set the bow up with good stuff and not that kit stuff that comes on the razor edge. So ur looking at another 150-200 for a sight and rest. so you are gonna be near that 4-500 mark by the time you get done. You could try looking on archerytalk.com in the classifieds. Tons of one and two year old bows on their for a fraction of the regular price and you could probably find a solid setup on something like the diamond iceman for around your $500. They are an excellent bow. This is the second season I've been shooting mine. Other two of diamonds great bows are the stud and black ice. Anyways there is tons of great bows for great prices on archerytalk, even some of the high end bows by various companies go pretty cheap.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second Winchaser on AT. You can pick up what was a $600 bow last year for half that - some even come with accessories better than what you'll get on a new package at any of the box stores.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.