Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dam squrriels

Old 09-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default dam squrriels

Has anyone had this happen to them.

I was thinking of things I did wrong last year or atleast need to change.

I keep think there where deer coming by me. I would look around searching, checking trails then notice the D*m squirrel sitting at my feet rusting in the leaves and limbs on the ground.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, almost been jumped on by them many times, almost hit by birds from little finches to a hawk.

Just remember that other wildlife is your friend, if they are playing at your feet or all around you going about there daily lives the deer won't be alerted to something strange in the woods.

Wait till a bald eagle lands at the top of your tree and its still fairly dark out or an owl lands next to you (2ft from me) and watches that bunny hopping around. will nearly make you poop yourself.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

If you listen closely to them, after a while you can tell the difference between a squirrel or turkey screwing around in the leaves and a deer. They have a different cadence to the noise they make. Deer footsteps, well, sound more like footsteps (regular spacing to the rhythm), whereas squirrels, etc just kind of rustle around.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Spike

Last year had several squirrels in front of me, along with a 5 deer when out of nowhere a hawk swooped down and pick one of them up spooked everything out of there, yesterday evening I had one dropping pine cones on me. I they will also let you know if a deer is walking by either barking at it or they will scatter for a bit if on the ground.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ave noticed a deer seems not to make alot of thrashing around. I guess since all there is in the dirt is their feet, where a tree rat thrashes around with it belly and such. Might wack one if I can been wanting to try some tree rat
Originally Posted by UPHunter08
If you listen closely to them, after a while you can tell the difference between a squirrel or turkey screwing around in the leaves and a deer. They have a different cadence to the noise they make. Deer footsteps, well, sound more like footsteps (regular spacing to the rhythm), whereas squirrels, etc just kind of rustle around.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

I put a rage 2 blade through the chest of a squirrel last year after a frustrating sit. I knew I was one with my bow, but all I had around me were squirrels. Towards the end of my sit, this squirrel was walking across the ground 15 yards out and I let the arrow fly.

They are annoying no doubt.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
Exactly. Besides, I love having the squirrels around. While too many of them can make it hard to hear a deer coming, it's my opinion that they'll put the deer more at ease because it's business as usual to a deer entering the area. The main reason I love having them around, though, is that I've killed more than one deer that a squirrel has alerted me to. They'll bark at anything which includes deer. I always pay attention when a squirrel barks. Granted, I end up looking for nothing a lot of times but that's normal while hunting. Also, pay attention when you see one off in the distance scamper across the ground and jump up on a tree and freeze. I saw that exact thing last year about 90 yards out and I looked to see what had spooked it. It turned out to be the 10 point buck I killed last season. That little bugger gave me plenty of advance notice so I could get to my feet and get my bow in position. Those little tree rats are my allies.

Last edited by LittleChief; 09-23-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

I would be awful bored if the squirrels wasnt in the woods gives me something to watch when the deer arent moving,
Old 09-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
Last year had several squirrels in front of me, along with a 5 deer when out of nowhere a hawk swooped down and pick one of them up spooked everything out of there, yesterday evening I had one dropping pine cones on me. I they will also let you know if a deer is walking by either barking at it or they will scatter for a bit if on the ground.
The hawk picked up a deer or a squirrel??

Any one ever heard of a Indian tale of how Red Tail Hawk follow deer? What I've been told is that the deer hear and smell for the hawk and the hawk is the deer's vision.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
Yeah, almost been jumped on by them many times, almost hit by birds from little finches to a hawk.

Just remember that other wildlife is your friend, if they are playing at your feet or all around you going about there daily lives the deer won't be alerted to something strange in the woods.

Wait till a bald eagle lands at the top of your tree and its still fairly dark out or an owl lands next to you (2ft from me) and watches that bunny hopping around. will nearly make you poop yourself.
i was sitting in a stand last year and had an owl hit me in the back of the head lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.