Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First season bow hunt >

First season bow hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First season bow hunt

Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Spike

Default First season bow hunt

I will be going on my first bow hunt on the 26th or the 27th of September. Either a late afternoon hunt on the 26th or all day on the 27th. I plan on going out by myself, as most of my hunting buddies will be working, and I have that Monday off. I am not terribly worried about being alone, as I could have back up there in under an hour. I have a great spot picked out with a hang on stand 20'-0" up about 18 yards downwind from a very active game trail. I am shooting a Diamond Kronik bow, 60#, carbon arrows, Rage 2 blade broadheads. I am consistant out to 30 yards. I *think* I am ready. I just wanted to check in with all of you fine folks and see if you had any suggestions, tips, words of encouragement, etc. Otherwise, good luck to all of you and I hope to post a pic of my first bow kill sometime on the 27th.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Dont forget your knife. Try to draw your bow from your stand to make sure you have clearance. That can be a issue here where the trees are crooked.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Prairie Wolf
Dont forget your knife. Try to draw your bow from your stand to make sure you have clearance. That can be a issue here where the trees are crooked.
*Hopefully* I have everything packed and ready to go in my bag. Camel back, 2 knives, trash bags, gloves, small supply of food, thermacell, 50'-0" of rope, first aid kit, fire starting kit, camera, harness, handwarmers, foil blankets, rain poncho, etc. That is a great tip regarding drawing the bow in the stand. I have tried it out multiple times and pantomimed drawing a bow, but I have never tried actually drawing the bow while up there.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holy cow, you're packed for a spike camp moose hunt! Best of luck on your first bow hunt, there's NOTHING like it!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck.

Thermacell.... will help you with the bugs.

knife... I normally have two on me (plus a sidearm)

safety harness

flashlight...

spare release.... or make sure you have yours with you 20 times before leaving your truck

water... you will get thirsty if out there all day

small snacks... if sitting out there all day

let people know you are going and where, if something was to happen and you can't call they would know where to start looking.

oh yeah some TP is always good to have handy on all day trips.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
Good luck.

Thermacell.... will help you with the bugs.

knife... I normally have two on me (plus a sidearm)

safety harness

flashlight...

spare release.... or make sure you have yours with you 20 times before leaving your truck

water... you will get thirsty if out there all day

small snacks... if sitting out there all day

let people know you are going and where, if something was to happen and you can't call they would know where to start looking.

oh yeah some TP is always good to have handy on all day trips.
Thanks for the tips, most of that stuff is already in the bag. Looks like I should be good to go. I definetely need to make sure someone knows exactly where I am, its a large lease.

Originally Posted by YooperMike
Holy cow, you're packed for a spike camp moose hunt! Best of luck on your first bow hunt, there's NOTHING like it!
Yeah, I tend to over due things. But I would rather have it and not need it. I grew up in central Illinois, whereabouts are you?
Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Spike

Take your snacks out of their loud plastic , and put it in a zip lock . Freeze one water and put it by your cold water . Gator aid bottle to use a pee bottle . Let someone know where your hunting and whats the latest you are getting down . Pick your spot on the deer and relax . Spray yourself down with scent killer . Have fun and enjoy mother nature , and post pics of your deer or take random pictures from tree stand .
Old 09-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in Heyworth, little south of Bloomington/Normal.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

No advice other than just enjoy it. Hope it all works out and return victorious but if you don't learning something is always a plus.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

Make sure your rubbers on your rage blades are new.
Make sure that you can see through your face gear when you pull back. If you use a kisser, you may want to see if there is a difference with your face gear.
COFFEE. Sorry but this is a must for me. I know that it doesn't help with scent control.
Early season I would not use any attractant scents.
Mark your trail going in.
Leave earlier than planned.
Be patient and wait for the kill shot. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.