Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Help with moon phase >

Help with moon phase

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help with moon phase

Old 09-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Spike

Default Help with moon phase

Is there anyway for you guys to break down the Moon Phase for me . I guess what i mean is what moon phase will tell you ok i am more than likely to see daytime movement . Or this moon phase i will more than likely see morning of evening movement . And with me being in south carolina would you try and hunt around water source or food source , early in the season when its hot . Thanx in advance fo any help or tips . I just seem to always be around does and young bucks and would like to increase my chances of seeing a nice buck even if i dont get a shot .
Old 09-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not really, but I have done this. We don't see deer much around here even though it is farm country so when I do see movement, the kind that makes me take notice I then search the weather history for the last few days. With that info I guess I'm trying to predict when they will be moving most. If a certain moon coincides with the movement, use it.

I can say this at least around here, and that's the thing deer do different things different places so whats good for me doesn't mean it's good for you. Anyways around here we have small wood lots surrounded by crops. If the winds blowing are your asking yourself why your staying in it, the deer aren't. They are on the other side out of the wind sniffing butts and tickling noses. Find places that don't seem to get the weather and when it's bad, they probably will be there.

My gps has a feature that tells me when it's best to hunt. Darn thing has been right. That uses the moon phases.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

In most cases a rising moon, which means you can see the moon rising afternoon get to your stand very early afternoon because they will probably be on their feet early. Also, in the morning if the moon is still pretty high stay in your stand longer. Usually right around the full moon the hunting doesn't seem to be as good either. However, there are always exceptions to these. I've hunted around the full moon several times and have seen and shot nice deer several times. As far as early season goes water and food sources are always good. In the rut many people will abandon water sources, Mistake!!!!! Bucks may go without eating in the rut, but one thing they won't go without is water.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt right after it stops raining. The deer are always out in droves right after it stops raining. I think that is one thing allot of people will agree with me on that, no matter where you live.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely, after it stops raining, a big storm or a big snow storm. Right after these fronts pass by, be in your stand!!!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Generally, when there is a full moon you will see more movement in the middle of the day.(if your out there) During a new moon you will see more movement in the mornings and evenings. This is not a science, just what I have seen over the years.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

[quote=obsessed bowhunter;3680409]Generally, when there is a full moon you will see more movement in the middle of the day.(if your out there) quote]

Finally, thank you...agreed.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

I second what the others have said. I also have a casio watch with moon phase, sunset - sunrise, and feeding times on it. It has a vibrating alarm set when the feeding times occur, its neat because its right alot of the time. Which means, where I hunt, the deer do seem to move better during their feeding times (by moon phase).
Old 09-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Spike

Thanx for all the replies . I do like to go out after a front or a big rain . All this is great info , love this site .