Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 yard shot

Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
That was always an old bet for beers trick when we went to the 3D shoots and stayed over night. Get 5' from a target and bet the guy he can't hit the bullseye. Most will use the top pin and shoot way low. The 40 yd was always where my bow would hit the bull at 5'

I have a short range conversion chart I used to use when I used a scope and slider.For my hunting rig now,it says to use a 71 yard pin for 6'.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Loved it. It's buit like a tank, smooth as silk and spot on with the sight in tape method.

If you like the idea of a single pin moveable hunting sight then HHA is your company. Mounting a quiver can be a litle tricky with some of the quivers out there but for a regular ole Kwikee and similar it's no problem.
Yea i heard something about some people having issues with there quivers with those sights but that what i got is a kwikee. Im not in to all them fancy quivers. i just cant see buyin somthin for $130 just hold my arrows. But thanks i should be getting it in tommorrow i cant wait to shoot with it on!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

So did ya'll see the guy on the latest "Adreniline Junkies" shoot under the deer at 5 yards. LOL There's a boy that obviously didn't know which pin to use at 5 yards. LOL
Old 09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Talking 5 yards?

Originally Posted by davidmil
So did ya'll see the guy on the latest "Adreniline Junkies" shoot under the deer at 5 yards. LOL There's a boy that obviously didn't know which pin to use at 5 yards. LOL
He should have just screamed at it and gave it a heart attack!..... Funny story my buddy tells...Hunting with a 12ga, doe walks in between 5 and 10 yards. Shoots at it, it drops like a bag of rocks where it stood. Says he waits an eternity (I say 5 minutes), gets down and is looking at her, and doesn't see any blood or damage. Walks up to her and pokes her with his muzzle, she jumps up, hops a few yards and stands there in a daze. Shoots at her again and knocks her down. Now he times 30 minutes on his watch before he approaches her. Standing there he can see the damage, walks up and there is only one hole in her!!! We concluded she probably fainted on the first shot. I believe him, he's a stand up guy, he does not spin yarns at all!...

Last edited by tight360; 09-12-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Dominant Buck

At 10 yards and closer use your 40 yard pin.

I know it doesn't seem logical. Just do it.
Not if you wanna hit your mark.

What a lot of people don't realize is.....the arrow is launched above the line of sight, at release. At a few yds out from the bow (most times it's around 5-8yds) the lines meet. Then, the arrow flies above the line until it arcs back down to again hit your mark (in an example of a 20yd pin) @ 20yds.

Here's a crude diagram I made up a few years ago, now....

Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

NOW,for the twist about parallax and shooting from a stand.

Most of us agree we shoot for the distance from the base of the tree.This is because of gravity but parallax is separate from gravity and you must consider the height you are in the tree for it.Meaning,if you are shooting from 25 feet up this is 8.333 yards,meaning you no longer have a parallax issue if your parallax crosses like most between 5-7 yards.So a shot at 5 yards or less does not really need to use the 40 yard pin if the animal is 3 yards from the base of the tree.

This is why you must practice these scenarios.I know this will come with disagreement and that is why I refrained from posting sooner but it is what it is.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

To further prove my point.I just shot from atop my outbuilding.Shot was maybe 15' up.The target was 3 yards from under where I stood.I marked it and stepped it off.I also shot from 5 yards which is my crossover point and it was dead center. the pin is set for 23 yards.

Now lets be honest most don't have anymore than a 2-3" low arrow even with parallax at it's worse so this whole deal is being blown way out of proportion but for educational sakes,here it is.

My son snapped this pic before I got settled in and anchored.

shot

placement

Last edited by TFOX; 09-13-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

And 5 yards out for those that even care anymore.I think all these shots will kill a deer.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Makes sense, T.

Your arrow is still traveling more than 5yds (or 3). Bolstering your point.

The "problem" arises (which pin to use) when the arrow is not actually traveling 5yds (or so).
Old 09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Makes sense, T.

Your arrow is still traveling more than 5yds (or 3). Bolstering your point.

The "problem" arises (which pin to use) when the arrow is not actually traveling 5yds (or so).

True,if hunting out of a ground blind,this is a HUGE factor.More than 1 blind out there has a hole in it from those unaware of this phenomenon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.