Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shooting Question?? >

Shooting Question??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting Question??

Old 09-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting Question??

When shooting at a deer out 40 or even 50 yards, does anyone take into account deer ducking the shot or jumping the arrow?? Saw it a few times on hunting shows and wondered your thoughts.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really try not to shoot that far, though I have in the past. I just aim as normal. At that range I will only shoot at a fully relaxed deer and My bow is quiet enough that "string Jump" at those ranges is not an issue. If your going to attempt long range shots, you better darn well practice are those distances and beyond and be 100% confident in your skills.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, I shoot normal also. But, just like 5 shot said, you better be confident in your equipment and shooting ability if you going to be shooting out past 45 yards. To many things can go wrong out past that. And it don't take much to make a good shot go real bad when your out that far. Wind, twigs, the deer takes a step. The deer moves 2 inches, it can change your shot placement 2 feet. Then you have a gut shot deer on your hands.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I've always contended that a deer further out is less likely to drop than one close in. A deer 15-25 is far more likely to drop. When you get out to 40 any noise they hear doesn't seem to startle them as bad. They'll maybe turn their head and look for the source than drop. 30 yards seems to be more of a problem than 40. As always, the animals demeanor is the critical thing. If they're relaxed and feeding with todays bows they just look at longer ranges. With something noisy like an X bow... all bets are off. LOL Xbows startle me when they go off and I have a severe hearing loss. LOL If a deer is casually walking along at the shorter distances I just shoot him. I figure his own noisy from walking helps to cover up the twang and he's less likely to bolt than if I grunt or something to stop him.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

Like everyone else said, body laungage dictaits the decision. If the deer is on high alert out that far I wouldn't even attempt a shot, doesn't matter how fast my bow is.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you learn how to hunt you won't need to take stupidity into the woods with you.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info!! I wont attempt a shot over 40 yards and that is even a long shot. I try and set all my shots up for 30 yards and closer. I only asked because a guy on the outdoor channel claims he sights his bow in low so that when the deer drops the shot, the arrow is dead center. I've never heard of that before though, so I figured I'd look into it.

P.S. I guess I wont need to take Bernie P. into the woods with me because it seems I already know how to hunt.

As for you Benie P., thanks for the dumb *ss comment!!!!

Your real
Old 09-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntingtherut
Thanks for the info!! I wont attempt a shot over 40 yards and that is even a long shot. I try and set all my shots up for 30 yards and closer. I only asked because a guy on the outdoor channel claims he sights his bow in low so that when the deer drops the shot, the arrow is dead center. I've never heard of that before though, so I figured I'd look into it.

P.S. I guess I wont need to take Bernie P. into the woods with me because it seems I already know how to hunt.

As for you Benie P., thanks for the dumb *ss comment!!!!

Your real

Right on.....