Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone Taken A Bowhunter Education Course? >

Anyone Taken A Bowhunter Education Course?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone Taken A Bowhunter Education Course?

Old 07-09-2003, 10:39 AM

Default Anyone Taken A Bowhunter Education Course?

This weekend I completed the PA Bowhunter Education Course, passed with flying colors I might add. But what I was wondering was has anyone else taken a similar course in their state and what did you think of it? I know some states it is required, here in PA it is not required, I just took it to better myself and just in case some day I get to hunt in another state that requires you have a bowhunter certification. The PA course is designed for first time hunters and experienced hunters, and covers all aspects of bowhunting including ethics, history of bowhunting, equipment, shooting techniques, types of animals, shot placement, animal sign, tracking wounded animals, distance estimation, and treestand safetyplus much much more. Everything was easy to understand for a new hunter but indepth enough that someone who has been bowhunting 10+ years such as myself could still learn something. If you haven' t taken a course like this I would highly suggest it. Check with your wildlife dept to see if it is offered.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:41 AM

Default RE: Anyone Taken A Bowhunter Education Course?

No, I have never taken a bowhunting safety course. Never heard of it actually. I have taken the hunters safety course which covers all the areas of hutning. From Bow, to rifle, shotgun, muzzlloader, waterfowl, trailing deer and so on. It was very interesting, and also passed with missing only one question
Old 07-09-2003, 10:47 AM

Here in PA you have to take the Hunter safety course to get a License when you turn 12, legal hunting age. I took that when I was twelve. It was a great course and highly suggest anyone who bowhunts take it. Heck it only cost $18 so it is not expensive. I do know that Bob Foulkrod holds a weekend long Bowhunter education class on his farm in southwestern PA, I know it is much more extensive than the regular PA course, but it is much more money to participate. He is a national certified hunter education instructor.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:05 AM

Never offered in my area. I wish I had taken it when I first started bowhunting.
Then maybe I wouldnt have: Fallen out of a tree...3 times, (After the 2nd fall I made a homemade saftey harness which didnt hold causing fall number 3), cut myself while messing with my broadheads,[] shot the side of my moms new oldsmobile because I didnt have an adequate backstop, and shot an arrow in the air just to see how high it would go. (I was 13 at the time.)[:' (]
Old 07-09-2003, 09:19 PM

In Jersey it' s mandatory to take a course/test before getting a license. There are all seperate courses for Muzzleloader, Shotgun and Bow. If you don' t pass your Bow test and course, you don' t get a license. The same goes for Muzzleloader and Shotgun. The course consist of about 3 hours in the field and then a written test at the end. Also, you need to do a home study guide with a workbook. You get a video for home too on everything to do with hunting. The course is free to all people interested in getting into the sport of hunting. The New Jersey Fish and Wildlife runs the courses.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:21 PM

A bow safety course is mandatory in New York State I took one about 7- 8 years ago I learned alot about bowhunting the safety part is mostly common sense ( not something everybody has) ( no offense benhuntin)[&:] I guess the class is good seeing that hunting accidents are way below what they used to be
Old 07-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, mandatory in NY, and best safety course ever took. Also required to take a hunter safety course on top of a bowhunters safety. If you want to trap furbearer' s have to take a trappers safety course. All require full attendance, which usually covers 2 evening courses of 3-4hrs, and a full 8hr day. Also a test at the end you need to pass to recieve your safety certificate to purchase a license. Some have you shoot now also. There is also a Waterfowl safety course that is required to have in order to hunt some special management areas like Montezuma refuge. I took that one also for heck of it.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Spike

I took PA' s course and do not think its for " Experienced Bowhunters" . It sure wasn' t what I expected. If you can' t ace the test there' s something seriously wrong. I would much rather take a course by someone like Bob faulkrod or Chuck Adams. Maybe if your new to hunting or don' t have a clue you could learn something.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:12 AM

( no offense benhuntin)
None taken. Most of my common sense didnt kick in until I was 19. Been pretty good with it from there on out. With the exception of marrying my first wife. [X(][:' (]
Old 07-10-2003, 08:49 AM

Required here in N.J.,but they should spend more time on subjects like hunters image,shot placement,and espesally blood trailing.I saw people at mine(many moons ago) that probably did' nt even own thier own bow and had never shot! The shooting part of the exam should be very stringent rather than as relaxed as it was.Hope this has changed.

Quick Reply: Anyone Taken A Bowhunter Education Course?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.