Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Which COC head??? >

Which COC head???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which COC head???

Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which COC head???

A few years ago I replaced the no longer made 125gr Rocky Mny Ironhead (sad to see that head go) with a bunch of 125gr Montecs. I have killed a bear and a deer with the Montecs and they have performed well, I really like the one piece cut on contact design. My only issue is I can not sharpen them to my liking. I have used several methods and the best I have found is wet/dry sand paper to 1000grit then stropping with yellow stone. I am looking at switching to the CS Montec, Hellrazor or Snuffer SS. My question is simple, which one of these heads has the best steel for a razor edge?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Snuffer SS and the hell razor are both easy to sharpen, much easier than the montecs in fact. The Snuffer SS is a bit smaller and penetrates better while the hell razor cuts a little bigger hole.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info
Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 5 shot
Snuffer SS and the hell razor are both easy to sharpen, much easier than the montecs in fact. The Snuffer SS is a bit smaller and penetrates better while the hell razor cuts a little bigger hole.
I was going to say Magnus Stingers, but if your going to ask someone it would be 5 shot.
So The two you mentioned are better then i take it?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Spike

Take alook at Razor Trick from Slick Trick....German steel...easy to sharpen and they come already sharp..Fly like FP.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not those two are better, it's just the ones he mentioned in his post. Stingers are also a good choice and even easier to sharpen, Plus you do have the added benefit of replacing the blades all together. razor tricks are also another great option.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

I have used the Snuffer SS for years.

I go to 1600 grit.

Most any 3 blade will not feel as sharp as a 2, because of the angle of the cutting edge.

Trust me they are plenty sharp.

If you want to shave hair off your arm go with Gillette.

If you want to kill something, go with the Snuffer SS
Old 09-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. I am going to try the diamond stone method that is on youtube for the Snuffer SS heads.

My wet/dry sand paper and stropping method proved effective this weekend. My Dad shot a small buck at 20 yards uphill in the chest and the arrow exited the rear ham. The broadhead did some serious damage the the buck dropped after a few bounds, the head looked brand new. My buddy took a larger fork on a hard quartering shot which exited through the far shoulder blade, head had no damage and the buck dropped in site. Both heads I sharpened using the previous stated method. I guess they are sharper than they appear.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, I purchased a double sided diamond stone the other day and went to work on some Montecs. I started with 600 grit, then went to 1200, finished with a few passes on the strop with yellow stone on it....the results. The Montec's now shave hair very easily, I am impressed. I don't know why this method works better than the sand paper method of the same grit, but it does. For a test, I held a ziplock sandwich bag between my hands and had my daughter let go of an arrow with a sharpened montec on the end. The results of the impromptu test was the arrow sticking in the book on the floor I used for a stop, these heads now cut with ease. I am anxious to give them a try on game....hopefully I can find an elk before the end of the month.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. Woody from Magnus has been a tremendous help even though I am not using his heads. His video and posts on another site were the ticket. I will be switching in the future to the Snuffer SS just do to the support I got from him on someone else's product. Below is a link to his video which is the process I used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sMTcc_CmXg