Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
TWO QUESTIONS - target and broadheads >

TWO QUESTIONS - target and broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TWO QUESTIONS - target and broadheads

Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default TWO QUESTIONS - target and broadheads

First Question:

I practice on a target similar to this:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADg8#p

Can I shoot this thing with a broadhead? Will I be able to get it out? The target seems to be filled with sheets of cardboard wrapped in a plastic bag with some cotton stuffing in between the sheets. I am don't want to have a broadhead lodged in my target messing up my arrows from now on.

Second question:

I am thinking about changing broadheads. Right now I am shooting Cabela's brand fixed broadheads with replaceable blades, and the blades don't seem like they are held securely enough for my tastes. I am thinking about moving to a one-piece fixed broadhead such as this:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...d=cat20059&rid=

Is there anyway I can ensure that the arrow flies very similar to my field points? I have read that you can tune your bow to do this, but I am not that good at tuning it.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a field point target...

If you can't adjust the nock and rest so that the broadheads and field points fly to the same place then take it to someone that can...

It's really quite simple and explained on the Eastons website...

All you are doing is fine tuning to take away any planing effect of the broadheads...

Of course, you could do as some do and shoot mechanicals to mask the problem...
Old 09-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

So I need an entirely different target to shoot broadheads?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
So I need an entirely different target to shoot broadheads?
Yes you do need a different target for broadheads. There are several out there. You need to make sure you select one that'll stop your arrow. If you shoot a high speed/high kenetic energy bow you need a more dense target than if you shoot 50 pounds low K.E. Some hold up better than others. That said, NONE of the broadhead targets I've bought will hold up to a lot of shooting. I tune my bow and arrows and then my broadheads. Once they're tuned I shoot them to put the best first and in my quiver and I really don't shoot the broadheads after that. If they're flying true there's no need to beat the arrows or the heads up. Good practice and form are better than shooting a ton of broadheads once they're set. Even so, most broadhead targets are only really good for a couple years or 3. Expect to spend around $100 for a broadhead target.