Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Judging Deer Tracks. >

Judging Deer Tracks.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Judging Deer Tracks.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Spike

Default Judging Deer Tracks.

Hey guys I just did some scouting today looking for rubs and stuff and found some interesting deer tracks. These tracks looked huge to me but I really dont know how to judge what kind of deer it is based on its track. I figured I would post em up here and see what you thought. Please let me know. Thanks

There are two different tracks and a rub that I found close. Let me know what ya think.
Attached Thumbnails Judging Deer Tracks.-0901001600.jpg   Judging Deer Tracks.-0901001600a.jpg   Judging Deer Tracks.-0901001611.jpg  
Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Spike

hard to tell man...be better if u had something beside it to compare the size...from what i can see..its a good size deer track..
Old 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is only one way to tell what sex the deer is that made that track and that is to watch the deer make it.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nctaxi
There is only one way to tell what sex the deer is that made that track and that is to watch the deer make it.
Not always true. IMO, and thats all it is, the track on the left is a buck. Notice to two dimples behind the track, those are mostly made from a mature buck.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me it looks like a 1 1/2 old deer. Does not look that big or deep in the soft ground an the dew claws are not very far back. Track does not appear to be very long or wide. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going with this statement. I have been hunting deer for 35 years. The only way that I am for sure that a buck has made a track is to see or if you have knowledge of a heavy buck in the area an his track are considerably larger than other tracks which is rare.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only way it's not true is if you can't tell whether it's a buck or doe. I am a taxidermist and before that processed deer in Pennsylvania and have handled 1000's of deer and i can cut the legs off either sex and you won't be able to tell them apart visually. Yes some deer have bigger feet and are heavier but I have also personally witness a 200+lb doe, so go figure.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only way it's not true is if you can't tell whether it's a buck or doe. I am a taxidermist and before that processed deer in Pennsylvania and have handled 1000's of deer and i can cut the legs off either sex and you won't be able to tell them apart visually. Yes some deer have bigger feet and are heavier but I have also personally witness a 200+lb doe, so go figure.
My area bucks or mature bucks are normally 60-80-lbs heavier than does.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AR Bowhunter
My area bucks or mature bucks are normally 60-80-lbs heavier than does.
Yes I have seen some big does with some big hooves on them.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Spike

alrighty guys thanks for the info. looks like I better move the trail cam over and investigate.