Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mathews Grip

Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Spike

Default Mathews Grip

I have a Mathews DXT and need to replace the grip. I was wanting to know what most Mathews shooters are using for a grip. The Focus grip looks nice but does it really work? I was told all mathews grips work on any mathews. IDk if that is some B/S but kinda sounds true.

I know the Z7 grip fills good but price is $50, same as the focus. All I really know is the DXT grip has to go!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried a Focus grip last week on a Z7 and thought it was a lot better than the DXT style grip. I think Mathews makes nice bows but the weak point is the grip, hopefully one day they will get on board with a better grip like Hoyt, Bowtech, Elite, Ross, Diamond, etc. and when they do, they will sell so many more bows I think.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know everyone complains about mathews grips being too wide, but personally I like it. I've tried some of the other slim grips and they dont feel right in my hand. JMO

Other than that I can't contribute to this discussion lol
Old 08-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

I know it's a matter of preferance but I agree with fingerz42, I don't like a slim grip. Just feels really strange in my hand, like there is nothing there. Years ago, like 30 some, when Astro bows were the rage in these parts, I simply couldn't shoot them because of there narrow grip. My arrows were all over the place. Made the grip wider and I dialed in, but I still didn't like the bow.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 4looking
I was wanting to know what most Mathews shooters are using for a grip.
Well..... ummmm..... the grip that came on my Drenalin.

I agree with PY Antlers - I love the Mathews grip. 'Course, I'm sure it's not for everyone. Good luck finding what you're looking for.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just feels really strange in my hand, like there is nothing there.
That's exactly what it is suppose to feel like. The wider the grip the more side torque your hand applies to the bow. A thin grip is an accurate grip.

The focus grip is a step in the right direction but why in the world they chose to make it out of "grippy" rubber is beyond me. It's like they have all of these wonderful engineers working there and not a single one of them knows how to make a proper grip.

PSE and elite have the best factory grips out there IMO.

I would personally look past the focus grip and look to Shrewd, Loesch, TorqueLess, Lambeth, etc...
Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
That's exactly what it is suppose to feel like. The wider the grip the more side torque your hand applies to the bow. A thin grip is an accurate grip.

The focus grip is a step in the right direction but why in the world they chose to make it out of "grippy" rubber is beyond me. It's like they have all of these wonderful engineers working there and not a single one of them knows how to make a proper grip.

PSE and elite have the best factory grips out there IMO.

I would personally look past the focus grip and look to Shrewd, Loesch, TorqueLess, Lambeth, etc...
If thats the case, why is it I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a narrow grib? I shoot a heavier wider grip I don't dare aim at the same spot because I destroy arrows.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

it's all personal preference. i love my stock grip on my dxt, feels better than the narrow grip on my friends mathews prestige.. the torque is the hand that shoots not the grip, sure if you cant get comfortable that might add to the torque, but some people shoot better with wide, or thin grips.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Fork Horn

i held a pse bow madness and it has a really slim grip like not even one at all pretty much. i hated it. felt uncomfortable. i always thought mathews had great grips. jmo
Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
If thats the case, why is it I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a narrow grib? I shoot a heavier wider grip I don't dare aim at the same spot because I destroy arrows.
Cause everybody is different but for most a thin grip is better.

I put a torquless on my z7 and it feels much better than that 2X4 that was on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.