Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
This might be a dumb question, and I think I already know the answer! >

This might be a dumb question, and I think I already know the answer!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This might be a dumb question, and I think I already know the answer!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Spike

Default This might be a dumb question, and I think I already know the answer!

OK, I think I know the answer, but I would still like to have some input..

OK, A buddy and I both have the same bow, Fred Bear Game over,. I have mine set about 58 lb pull, and he has his set I would say around 65 to 70.. Im a small guy and he's a bigger guy, so that explains the difference there, so when we sited our pins in they look like this..

Mine His

1st pin - -
2nd pin - -
His Third -
Mine -

What im getting at his his pins are all close togther
My first two are close, then the 3rd is spaced down a bit, now is this because his bow is set at a higher pull then mine and he has more speed so it will travel longer with out dropping?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

I'm guessing your pins are set at 10 -20 and 30 yards or even 20-30-40, with almost a 20lb differance your buddy is shooting a much flatter arrow at longer distance, yours is falling off way sooner.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

The higher your bow is set the faster your arrow will travel hence the less it will drop....
Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
I'm guessing your pins are set at 10 -20 and 30 yards or even 20-30-40, with almost a 20lb differance your buddy is shooting a much flatter arrow at longer distance, yours is falling off way sooner.
Not too good at math today are we jk

Anyways, it depends on draw length as much as weight so dont just account it all to weight.

It is typically noted that one pound of draw weight equals about 2.5fps(feet per second)

Say you two are both the exact same draw length, and shooting the exact same weight arrows with the same fletchings, but he is shooting 7 pounds more draw weight:

His bow will shoot an estimated 17.5fps faster than you. So in one seconds time, all things being equal, his arrow will have traveled 17.5 feet further than yours.

For draw length, it is noted that 1" of draw length is about 10fps.

So, even if you guys were pullling the same draw weight, same arrow weight, same bow etc, but he was shooting a 29" and you were shooting a 28", then he would be shooting roughly 10fps faster than you.

The draw weight determines the amount of time it takes the string to accelerate from full draw, to the static(not drawn) position, while the draw length determines how long that bow can accelerate the arrow.

I hope this was simple enough to follow, if not go ahead and ask again

Essentially, if all arrow weights and specs are equal, and the bows are the same, the one with the higher draw weight and draw length will be faster, and have a closer pin gap.

Just for a little critical thinking, say you and your buddy were shooting the exact same bow, exact same arrow weight and fletch. Say he is shooting a 30" draw length at 60#'s while you are shooting a 27.5" draw length at 70#'s.

Now whose bow will be faster???
Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 AM
Spike

Based on your numbers they would be the same fps sitting at 450 fps
Old 08-31-2010, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

omg just tell the guy its because the heavy poundage is increaseing arrow speed and its not dropping off as fast,,,,,man get real
Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought that was a good thorough explanation. Most people don't know a whole lot about what makes a setup faster or slower. Good job Drock
Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
omg just tell the guy its because the heavy poundage is increaseing arrow speed and its not dropping off as fast,,,,,man get real

But it's not just draw weight. Draw length also has a large effect on arrow speed.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sunjbr
Based on your numbers they would be the same fps sitting at 450 fps
They would negate to the same speed either way regardless of it was 300 or whatever.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
Lol sorry u can't take a lesson. I thought that was a very down to earth and informative bit I posted. I understand he didn't ask for it, but if anyone else that cares reads it that doesn't know how this stuff works, they can take away a good bit of rule-of-thumb archery knowledge.

Instead of always giving the answers, giving someone the opportunity to gain a bit of depth is a service IMO. Take it or leave it man.... get real with yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.