Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Getting the fever. >

Getting the fever.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting the fever.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Getting the fever.

Ok I set my feeder out last saturday and in less than one week I have had 4 decent bucks one really good one, or atleast for this 16 year old. I worked hard with a bow last year and shot my first buck a 6 pt wouldve been an 8 but didn't have any brows, but by the looks of my camera I may top that this year. Every year I learn more and more about bow hunting and can't wait for this one to start. Can anybody tell me whats wrong with that buck that has one side, it looks like he has a bad growth growing down his face; I don't know if he maybe got hit by a car, or hit it hard when he first started growing the beam, and also on the good solid 8 could anyone make a guess to what you think he'll score??? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Getting the fever.-mdgc0101.jpg   Getting the fever.-3-bucks.jpg   Getting the fever.-freak-buck.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 03:32 AM
Spike

it looks like antler growing down the side of his face
Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've had the fever since last day of bow season last year. I'm going out today to make sure feeder has plenty of corn and start put up some stands.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

It looks like he injured his antler someime this summer. Since it was injured the antler kept growing and since it could not go up because of the injury it grew down. I have seen this several times. If the buck makes it through this season, next year he should grow a perfect set of antlers. As long as the injury is not in to his skull.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know how true it is but I read somewhere that if they have trama on the right side of there body then the left horn may not form properly for example. Again not sure but I beleve the above post is correct in that he will have a normal rack next year BUT, how cool would he look on the wall like it is now!

Last edited by sprintflyer; 08-28-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sprintflyer
I don't know how true it is but I read somewhere that if they have trama on the right side of there body then the left horn may not form properly for example. Again not sure but I beleve the above post is correct in that he will have a normal rack next year BUT, how cool would he look on the wall like it is now!
I have heard the same thing. A friend of mine shot a nice buck several years ago during gun season. He thought how cool, it was still in velvet. But when he got up to it and touched the horns one of them was like rubber he said. Then when he field dressed it, it had gang green. He figured it was hit by a car, and the injury made its horn never harden and get the velvet off. If he does have some sort of injury making it grow like that, I don't think it will ever grow right. Thats just my opinion. Anything is possible. He might be just fine next year, hard to say...
Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

nice ones but they seem to be nocturnal.