Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
2010 Ontario Bear Hunting >

2010 Ontario Bear Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2010 Ontario Bear Hunting

Old 08-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default 2010 Ontario Bear Hunting

This year was a great year for bear hunting. Last year we booked with cedar ridge lodge and we were disappointed. this year we booked with Rick Dickson's Bear Hunts in Wawa, Ontario. We were completely satisfied. We had 4 bear hunters and we came home with 4 bears. all of which were taken with archery up close and personal.
There is a serious drought in that part of Ontario so the berries did not do much this year. This made the baits extra hot with competition heavy. we had 5 bait sites and all had more than one bear on them and some had up to 4 bears that we got trail cam pics of. The hunting action was top notch.
My mom got her bear opening afternoon after sitting on the stand less than 1 hour. her bear was a very old bear who was actually on the decline it weighted around 325lbs. My brother got his the same night his was a bit smaller but was still impressive at 225lbs. i shot mine the next night at 6:30 after watching a smaller bear for 2 days. he weighed around 300 and was fully mature and in his prime. My dad who i did not have a picture of shot his the last day after sitting for a monster visiting his bait that was around 450lbs. he ended up taking a real nice boar around 250 lbs.

The set up that rick has is awesome. Our guide alone skinned out 18 bears after opening morning. he has a ton of bait sites and they are all in prime locations. The hunt is not fully guided though so some work is involved but that is part of the fun. we got up every morning and ran our baits deciding where the best place to hunt would be and checking our trail cam pics to make sure we had the bears time down. then go back to the lodge and eat lunch shower up and drive the quads out to your stand. it was awesome and action packed.

my bait alone was 2 miles off of a 2 track down a 4 wheeler trail that went through some of the most diverse terrain i have ever rode through.

Our lodge was nice but typical of similar lodges in Ontario but the cooking was top notch. Wilma at Normandy Lodge can make up one tasty 3 course meal that really hits the spot after sitting in the stand. and the fishing is top notch.

we had a great time and i would seriously recommend this hunt to any HNI member.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Ontario Bear Hunting-christrophy2.jpg   2010 Ontario Bear Hunting-christhumbsup.jpg   2010 Ontario Bear Hunting-maryndavesbears5.jpg  
Old 08-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Spike

Wow cool pics it looks like you guys had a great hunt
Old 08-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good looking Bear..Congrats!