Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

torn

Old 08-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
I don't understand why you guys are not shooting the same weight arrow in 3D as you would for hunting. Isn't the whole purpose of shooting 3D to prepare you for the woods?
Most of us serious shooters shoot 3D for the competition, as several have already stated. 3D has evolved into just another form of target shooting and has very little to do with hunting.

The reason I say this is that for the most part people hunt from elevated platforms whereas 3D is shot with two feet on the ground. In 3D yardage estimation becomes critical. In hunting situations (25 yards or so) yardage is not much of an issue. You can be off by 5 yards and still make a killing shot. Speed is not needed for hunting.

If you have a noisy bow a rubber deer could care less. It isn't going anywhere. For hunting a quiet bow is almost a necessity. Deer don't jump the string. They react to some noise created by your equipment. They tense up the leg muscles to flee and people call this jumping the string or ducking the arrow (yeah, right).

The only reason to use 3D for hunting practice is to better one's form and/or learn shot placement. The other thing both venues have in common is that one must use mental discipline and work on shot execution. Learn this while shooting target or 3D and it carries over into the woods automatically.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Most of us serious shooters shoot 3D for the competition, as several have already stated. 3D has evolved into just another form of target shooting and has very little to do with hunting.

The reason I say this is that for the most part people hunt from elevated platforms whereas 3D is shot with two feet on the ground. In 3D yardage estimation becomes critical. In hunting situations (25 yards or so) yardage is not much of an issue. You can be off by 5 yards and still make a killing shot. Speed is not needed for hunting.

If you have a noisy bow a rubber deer could care less. It isn't going anywhere. For hunting a quiet bow is almost a necessity. Deer don't jump the string. They react to some noise created by your equipment. They tense up the leg muscles to flee and people call this jumping the string or ducking the arrow (yeah, right).

The only reason to use 3D for hunting practice is to better one's form and/or learn shot placement. The other thing both venues have in common is that one must use mental discipline and work on shot execution. Learn this while shooting target or 3D and it carries over into the woods automatically.
Agreed. And many target manufacturers now days dont have kills in the ideal spots anyways.

There are tons of targets that are designed that way, and the elk is one that comes to mind.

Anways, yes 3d is a sport, and to be competitive shooting 3d you have to utilize physical advantages that are not important in hunting just as BG described. Of course you can shoot 3d with a hunting rig, but likely, you are not using your gears full potential...
Old 08-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
. Deer don't jump the string. They react to some noise created by your equipment. They tense up the leg muscles to flee and people call this jumping the string or ducking the arrow (yeah, right).
So are you saying you don't believe deer can duck an arrow?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
So are you saying you don't believe deer can duck an arrow?
I think he is stating that thy are simply reacting to a noise and the deer ducking the arrow is merely just a process in their flight routine. In order to bound of they have to drop and preload their legs first
Old 08-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by drockw
I think he is stating that thy are simply reacting to a noise and the deer ducking the arrow is merely just a process in their flight routine. In order to bound of they have to drop and preload their legs first
Oh... I agree with that then, lol....
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

He is right. A deer reacts to a noise by loading up their legs which results in lowering their back. The term ducking an arrow is fine but don't kid yourself in that a deer doesn't see the arrow coming from whatever direction and decide to be quick enough to duck under it. Might look like it and maybe on an extremely long shot they might be able to pick up the arrow but very very doubtful.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
Oh... I agree with that then, lol....
I'm sure you've been asked this a million times (at least I would think) but why in the world would someone spend good money and time putting a supercharged V8 into an 86 Ranger? Family value or something? Sorry just had to ask.