Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shooting Question >

Shooting Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting Question

Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting Question

the last few weeks I have been shooting my bow I have been hitting my forearm with my string. So for the last 3 weeks I have had a red and bruised arm. What is my problem? is my draw length too long?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Most probably form, are you turning your hand in on the bow. If it is not that, get a string stop. That was my problem and now my wrist is not bruised anymore don't let it go though! I got a nice scar on my wrist from the string slap.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your draw is too long, most likely. With the proper draw length, even with terrible form and turning your wrist way in, it's tough to hit your arm. Check you draw length first, I bet you will find that it is long.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

If you draw back the bow and can anchor your kisser button at the corner of your mouth comfortably, then draw length may not be your only problem. Your stance can also affect how close your string comes to your forearm. I personally shoot with an oblique stance, where I put my arrow and the target at about a 30°-45° angle to my shoulders. I have been shooting the same draw length my whole life, but those first couple trips to the range will find you needing to correct your form. If I don't have proper form, I'll hit my arm every time.

Take a look at the following site which shows the different stance types, and try shooting with an oblique stance. This may correct your problem. If you still hitting your arm, then your draw length is definitely too long.

http://library.thinkquest.org/27344/propertech.htm

Do some more searches on proper bow stance for a better explanation. This is often a very important thing that most people overlook, and assume its only your draw length that needs adjusted.

Good luck getting your arm healed and on the path to recovery.

Don

Last edited by dmounts; 08-25-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

it sounds like your draw is to long most peoples is and they dont know it .
Old 08-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Are you new to shooting? I remember having the problem when I first picked up a bow, it was a bitch to hit your arm when it was already bruised up. My younger brother (1st year hunting) is going through the same problem now, if it's not your draw being too long make sure your wrist isn't locked out with your forearm touching the string.