Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Stalking Mule Deer? >

Stalking Mule Deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stalking Mule Deer?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Spike

Default Stalking Mule Deer?

I am mostly a whitetail hunter. I pulled my first tag out west for mule deer. I am spending a lot of money to get out there, but am hunting public land and don't want to come home empty handed--I have checked out a few articles on stalking them:

http://www.bowhuntamerica.com/index....bedded-mulies/

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/tactics/ambush_071907/

But I am not sure if this is the best way to go about it, and have done 99% of my deer hunting in a treestand. Does anyone have experience stalking mule deer? Do you recommend stalking for a midwest whitetail hunter, or stand hunting, I only have a couple days to scout my unit before the season. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stand hunting can be done for muleys, if you feel confident you've found a good trail to post up on. If not, break out the glass. It's the same old stuff you've probably already heard. Every tree and shadow is a possible hiding place, and it takes a fair amount of time to go over ground with glass. Muleys have lots of hidey holes, and you must check them all. One problem with mule deer stalking is the open stretches of ground. You may end up following the deer a long ways before an opportunity arises that includes proper wind direction and visual obstacles between you and the deer. Don't force the stalk. Think it through, and if it can't be done, you probably shouldn't wing it just for the fun of it. You may get another chance at the same deer or find another one where a real opportunity shows itself. Another thing to think about: muleys are frequently in herds, and you may have many eyes to evade. Keep it all in mind. Bottom line is, find your target, and wait for an opportunity to unfold. Continue to re-assess the situation during the stalk. Bowhunting public mulies on unfamiliar territory will be a challenge, but if you're successful, it makes the challenge all the more satisfying.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Spike

glass glass glass and some more.where did you draw? and what time of year? i have been hunting mule deer in the west(Nev.,Ca.,Or.,Id) for years.(i live in nevada) if its an early hot weather hunt. the best thing to do is find them at first light and watch them untill they bed down for the day. and skeek in and stick them in there bed. but you MUST play the wind. you can cheat there eyes and there ears sometimes. but never cheat there nose. a good rule of thumb when bow hunting muleys is. sit still while there moving and move while there sitting still.mule deer are nothing like white tails. when bumped they "typickly" wount run to the next county. they will move a ways and settle down. so if you "bump" one on a stalk. hunker down and wait and watch. they probley didn't go TO far.if you "push" or "scare" one. they will go a very long way.and watch out for tattle tail does. when muleys are bedded up for an afternoon nap the does WILL be more alert then the bucks.it is very easy to have tunnel vision on the buck just to have a doe that you did not see bust you just outside of the "dead zone". i have had does bust a good stalk more times then i care to remember.
and most important, practice shooting long range.(40 to 50yds). i have taken 22 white tails with my bow, all but one inside of 25 yds. but never a muley inside of 25 yds.
i'm not saying i'm an expert or this is the only way to do it. i'm just saying this is how i have been filling the frezer for a long time with a bow.
i hope this helps, and sorry its so long winded.mike.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have stalked them and sat up when I knew a good location. I usually will sit on the edge of a field in the evening only. In the morning I will try to find some on the open areas and follow them until I can sneak up on them. During the day still hunt and glass.