Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Can I Measure My Own Draw Length?? >

Can I Measure My Own Draw Length??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can I Measure My Own Draw Length??

Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Can I Measure My Own Draw Length??

How would i find my own draw length? or is that somthing i would have to go to a local bowshop to get measured for?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Spike

open both arms measure tip of middle finger to tip of opposite middle finger then split number in half. but best way is to go to shop different people have different anchor points so this may change your dl slightly.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

Put a little paint or something on your finger, draw your bow and touch your arrow where you want it to end. Then you can measure the arrow and make your decision from there.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ropaque
open both arms measure tip of middle finger to tip of opposite middle finger then split number in half. but best way is to go to shop different people have different anchor points so this may change your dl slightly.
I think you are close but you should divide by 2.5 not 2.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

my buddy measured his draw.....bought a bow fer his draw...then he bought a quick release, and pow...now his draw is off due to the length of the wrist strap..never ending battle fer him lol
Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
I think you are close but you should divide by 2.5 not 2.
Yep, 2.5 - that measurement may be off by a bit, but it's agood place to start.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
my buddy measured his draw.....bought a bow fer his draw...then he bought a quick release, and pow...now his draw is off due to the length of the wrist strap..never ending battle fer him lol
A little confused...most releases are adjustable so it shouldn't make much difference if he's using the same anchor point. IOW, unless his hand length has changed, his trigger finger and anchor point are unchanged, and the strap on the release should be adjusted accordingly. (edit: unless you mean his original measurement was just for 'fingers' and no release...then that makes sense)

At any rate, I echo the suggestions above that it's best to just have the guys at the local pro shop check it out. If his bow is set at the wrong draw length it could possibly jack up his shooting form.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 08-18-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

The easiest way that I have found is to stand with your fist against the wall and lay a yard stick on top of it and use your thumb on the other hand to determine the draw length.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
A little confused...most releases are adjustable so it shouldn't make much difference if he's using the same anchor point. IOW, unless his hand length has changed, his trigger finger and anchor point are unchanged, and the strap on the release should be adjusted accordingly. (edit: unless you mean his original measurement was just for 'fingers' and no release...then that makes sense)

At any rate, I echo the suggestions above that it's best to just have the guys at the local pro shop check it out. If his bow is set at the wrong draw length it could possibly jack up his shooting form.
yup