Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Velcro on new jacket.  Bad idea? >

Velcro on new jacket. Bad idea?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Velcro on new jacket. Bad idea?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Spike

Default Velcro on new jacket. Bad idea?

i have been eyeing a new jacket that is finally on sale to only 100 bucks down from 200. it has a great camo pattern for my area and is waterproof too. the only problem is it has velcro fasteners on the wrist cuffs. obviously these would be very noisy if i wanted to adjust them on the stand. should i get the jacket and make sure i am strapped up before i get to my spot or should i hold out for another jacket with clasps or buttons? thanks!!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess that's really something you have to decide. With some attention to detail during your hunt it would work but I can tell you that I wouldn't buy it to hunt in. When I'm on my stand there won't be any Velcro within a quarter mile of me.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

That jacket would have to make be invisible before I'd buy it with velcro on it. You will always end up having to adjust those sleeves on stand for one reason or another.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Velcro sucks. I bought an awesome jacket last year, with velcro, and took it to a sewing place and had buttons put on. I love that jacket, even more now! I didn't think the velcro would be an issue, but it really was. Not for adjusting, but just even rubbing the cuffs on your pants, when putting your hands in your pockets, pretty much any movement had it crinkling a little.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

if im in a spot where i need to be extra quiet ill put black athletic tape over the velcro, then wrap a layer around the wrist but wont overlap it, it comes off nice and quiet if i need to adjust, or if you take it off i just stick it to my stand or something
Old 08-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

i would buy it.. like you said get everything ready before the hunt.... i have velcro in the cuffs as well and have never had any problems.

even if you do have to adjust them its not that hard to undo them slowly, and make no more noise than a zipper.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Geez, deer must be gettin' smart if they can hear velcro being pulled apart and spook because they know there must be a hunter near by when they here velcro being pulled apart.....If the jacket is what you want and fills your needs, buy it..