Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tips for the rut!? >

Tips for the rut!?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips for the rut!?

Old 08-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tips for the rut!?

I am planning to do a lot of rut huntin this year and i would like to know some tips or tricks. Especially the calling, what are the calls what do they do? when should they be used, and what is your favorite call.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Focus on travel corridors, or just on the downwind side of known doe bedding areas. Bucks will cruise the downwind side as they are searching out hot does.

Depending on your area, rattling, grunting or an estrous bleat can be effective. Start out soft because you never know what may be close.

The rut is a fun time to hunt. The rut is a marathon, not a sprint. Personally, i like the pre-rut (when bucks are cruising and chasing) more than the lockdown when they are breeding.

Hope that helps and have fun.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Basicly for the month of Nov. be on stand every chance you get at all times of the day, and you can't tag a monster if there isn't one in the area.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

get out there early, early, early. My first year bow hunting I was getting in late and was spooking deer. The following year I got in early but still spooked a few deer. Last year I was sitting on the stand for an hour before day light but I never spooked deer and saw more last year then ever before.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't put too much hope in calls. While they do have their place it's not the most important thing. The week or two leading up to the rut is the best to use grunts and rattling. I have a Buck Roar call by Primos. It is a very good grunt call because it's realistic and louder than most. I use calls most time to "lure" a buck in that I have seen at a distance. If they are in the right state of mind you can call them in with a few grunts or hitting the horns a little. Don't over do it. It's not like calling in a turkey.

The most important thing is to hunt as much as you can. The bucks will be out at all times of the day looking for does. Go where the does are. Also believe it or not I have better than average buck sightings on windy days as the rut starts up. I believe it may cause the does to hold up in beds and the bucks will be out looking harder to find them. Just put in a lot of time and something good will happen sooner or later.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Wink stay on stand!

got most of my bucks between 10a - 3p, ole boys were out sniff'n doe beds.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
Basicly for the month of Nov. be on stand every chance you get at all times of the day, and you can't tag a monster if there isn't one in the area.
and if there is one yu cant get him sitting on the couch
Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Pretty decent advice here so far.. But to reiterate the points I know, is to be there early and often.. The main point is to be in the woods and enjoying yourself.. As far as the areas in the woods to hunt and what to look for I'll leave that for the old vets to tell you about.. Really just always expect the unexpected, as tight360 said.. 10 AM - 3 PM most are getting out/getting back on stand.. This is a great time to be holding tight in your stand and munching on a PB&J while you watch a true bruiser walk in under you..

Good Luck!!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

10 to 3 are my favorite hours too. Hunt the does and you will find the bucks.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can find a funnel around a doe bedding area/s you'll be in for some good huntin.