Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how to teach a 6 year old >

how to teach a 6 year old

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to teach a 6 year old

Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

hey guys,,,,,,hes only 6 if he wants to shoot with bad form let him,,,man he isnt in the olimpics,,,he doesnt need correction he needs nurishing...if he enjoys it let him shoot for a year or two,,if he doesnt loose intrest then help him with form and better equiptment...good lord its better than chaseing anouther bow hunter away...
I agree 100%. Just let him shoot and have fun. If you make it too serious for him right now you are more likely going to steer him away from archery.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

A low poundage (very low) recurve is the best way for a youngster to learn proper mechanics.Fingers is also the way to go.Concentrate on having them draw the bow,while maintaining a good T form(no leaning back),coming to anchor,aiming and releasing.Meanwhile keeping FUN at the forefront.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 AM
Spike

Thank everyone. I told my sister that he need to have the draw length shorten. I just plan on showing him the right way. and have him watch me shoot too. i plan on taking him out setting in my blind this year. I just hope we see something when he come out so he can get hooked for life. even it I dont get a shot.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The pull on that bow is too long, but it's no big deal. He just needs to keep his head down. That would be good enough for now. As he grows into the bow, he can get into the habit of using an anchor point.

But, at 6, who cares. As long as he's shooting and having fun.

Here's my son when he was 5. The pull was too long for him then, but he's using the corner of his mouth as an anchor point now.
Attached Thumbnails how to teach a 6 year old-danny_archery_1.jpg  
Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

My son has been shooting since he was 4 he is now 7, I started him off with a recurve and now he has a diamond cutter. I just let himshoot and never really get on him about form I want it to be fun for him. I ask him if he want to shoot and if he say no I say ok maybe next time.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Spike

Shorten the length if you can as it will be more comfortable to shoot. You can only harp on form so much before they tune you out and/or get so frustrated they want to quit.

In that case, just let him have fun and keep safety at the forefront. No walking around on the range...wtg for everyone to be done and the range is clear before walking after your arrows.

It's the best guy time my son and I have as it keeps his sister in the house!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure I would agree. Sure letting him shoot and have fun and learn, but letting him develop bad habits it will just hurt him later. Now I think some fun with some structure and teaching is the way to go. Show him a good forum for shooting, teach him how to really shoot and let him have fun doing it. When he misses do not tell him what he did wrong after every arrows, just say it ok and keep stress away from it.

To me if you can not teach a kid to do it right they are to young to learn. That could be 6 or 13 depends on the child.

It is kind of like letting kids play soccer and not keeping score. Kind of void of the pint of sports.

I think by just letting him fling arrows and giving him the it is ok I did my best thought process will be hurting him later.
Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
hey guys,,,,,,hes only 6 if he wants to shoot with bad form let him,,,man he isnt in the olimpics,,,he doesnt need correction he needs nurishing...if he enjoys it let him shoot for a year or two,,if he doesnt loose intrest then help him with form and better equiptment...good lord its better than chaseing anouther bow hunter away...
Old 08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Not sure I would agree. Sure letting him shoot and have fun and learn, but letting him develop bad habits it will just hurt him later. Now I think some fun with some structure and teaching is the way to go. Show him a good forum for shooting, teach him how to really shoot and let him have fun doing it. When he misses do not tell him what he did wrong after every arrows, just say it ok and keep stress away from it.

To me if you can not teach a kid to do it right they are to young to learn. That could be 6 or 13 depends on the child.

It is kind of like letting kids play soccer and not keeping score. Kind of void of the pint of sports.

I think by just letting him fling arrows and giving him the it is ok I did my best thought process will be hurting him later.

Agreed 100%,It took me years to fight off most my bad habits learned at an early age.I still have a few habits lingering around but most have been fixed.

What many don't understand is that some bad habits will actually cause injury as they get older.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

My son when he was 9

Not perfect but a far cry better than many adults I have seen out there.

He took his first deer this past season at 11,made a perfect shot.
http://huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunti...-part-2-a.html

Last edited by TFOX; 08-10-2010 at 02:13 PM.