Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need a little help. >

Need a little help.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need a little help.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need a little help.

okay guys, hoping some people have some personal experience with this issue. I am 15 and love the outdoors and everything about it, hunting included. The only problem is that i have no support financially or morally, none what so ever. I bought my self a bow and all the fixings and i shoot it in my backyard, that is the closet thing i can do outdoors. I do have a place to hunt, its not mine, but it is three hours away and my parents take me there, drop me off and tell me to have fun, i built my own stand and i have always hunted alone. I have never saw any deer there. So now I dont know what to do, i want to quit and sell everything and buy a video game or something that doesnt involve support and then just hunt when i get older, but i ave a feeling that i will lose interest and never do it, besides i love it so much i think it would suck not to do it somewhat. So what can i do to coupe with this, I really have no idea.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Do u have any knowledge of the MFL? I can help you out.

Where abouts do you live?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Hang in there. I wish I had taken your initiative when I was your age. I have always been interested in hunting, but like you it was not something that was done by my family or firends so I did not get started until 2 years ago (at 44).

I think you do need to find some hunting land closer to home...there must be a wildlife management area or something closer to you. If you lived in WV I would be glad to invite you to sit in my little slice of hunting heaven, and hopefully if you post here and in the midwest section you might find someone willing to let you sit on some good hunting land.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just giving some advice here, but ask if your parents would take you to your local archery shop and talk to some of the folks there. I sure you could get someone to let you hunt some of there land of maybe tell you where theres some good public land. Also if your start hanging around enough im sure the folks there will be more than willing to help you out with your form,bow setup, ect.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

i have not heard of MFL, I live in Manitowoc county in wisconsin, nearest archery shop is too far and no1 would drive me there. as far as public land, still cant get to it. maybe when im 16 and can drive i will.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well since your almost 16, just wait till you get your drivers license then you can go where ever you want. As for archery shop how far is to far? I have to drive 40 miles to get to the shop i go to. And how do you know no one will take you?Did you ask? I know if i wanted to hunt as bad as you say you do then i'd be trying my hardest to try and meet some people and see if they could help me out. And archery shops are usually full of good people willing to help. Just hang in there, you'll get it figured out.

Last edited by MOhunter46; 08-03-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

i have 20. its nice, he is my lifesaver.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Ask your shop for a plat book for your county. MFL (Managed Forest Land) is land that is owned by residents or companies (usually lumber) but is open to the public. I got my buck in La Crosse county on MFL because thats where I went to college and had no connections what so ever for land, being I was on the other side of the state from where I lived (Freedom).

Ask your Archery Shop about it. Im sure they have knowledge about what land is open in your area, and hopefully there will be a good peice you can get to easier and more often.

Here is my buck off MFL in La Crosse

Last edited by sportsman22; 08-03-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I guess it means i year off until i can drive. ill look into MFL though.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

hang in there pal. Try to find some guys at your school that hunt. You may be surprised at who all does. Ask around with teachers too. If only indiana and 'sconsin were closer together i'd love to help ya out. I get a lot of joy out of helpin newbies! good luck and don't give up. i swear to ya, if ya keep at it, an the day finally comes where you get that first deer it will be one of the most exciting things in your whole life and quitting wont be an option anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.