Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand? >

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Well I'm 5 for 5 on passthroughs on mature Kansas and Iowa bucks over the last few years with the Rage 2-blade and I'm a 28" draw and only shooting 260-270fps.

Penetration problems? I don't think so.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by annika3
Well I'm 5 for 5 on passthroughs on mature Kansas and Iowa bucks over the last few years with the Rage 2-blade and I'm a 28" draw and only shooting 260-270fps.

Penetration problems? I don't think so.
Well, 5 deer isn't alot. Thats one season for me Its data, I agree. But many more have had issues. Look at GMMAT's record.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Still havn't heard many guys comment on the fixed F-15. Must not be many guys using them. I sure like the looks and concept of them. Just have a hard time making the decision to hunt deer with this year! Mech...fixed...mech....fixed....mech....fixed. I like the larger diameter of most mechs but am still scared they wont work exactly like they should when hunting in NE weather.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:16 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
Still havn't heard many guys comment on the fixed F-15. Must not be many guys using them. I sure like the looks and concept of them. Just have a hard time making the decision to hunt deer with this year! Mech...fixed...mech....fixed....mech....fixed. I like the larger diameter of most mechs but am still scared they wont work exactly like they should when hunting in NE weather.
Problem about the F-15 is its not balanced all the way around, and more surface arear means more planing. And it has alot of surface area.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Problem about the F-15 is its not balanced all the way around, and more surface arear means more planing. And it has alot of surface area.
What exactly do you mean by not balanced all the way around? Also would it be safe to say the more surface area a broadhead has the more work it will have to get a pass through? I would think a 2 blade would have an easier chance of making it clear thru. Obviously it depends on shot placement Im just talking in general.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
What exactly do you mean by not balanced all the way around? Also would it be safe to say the more surface area a broadhead has the more work it will have to get a pass through? I would think a 2 blade would have an easier chance of making it clear thru. Obviously it depends on shot placement Im just talking in general.
No, surface area doesn't mean much. For instance a slicktrick mag with 1.25" cut diameter has less surface area but would cut wider.

When I say not balanced, I mean, its wider at one point than the other. I wouldn't waste money on em myself. Way too expensive. And IMO, just a gimmick product.

Last edited by bigcountry; 08-04-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

No, surface area doesn't mean much. For instance a slicktrick mag with 1.25" cut diameter has less surface area but would cut wider.

When I say not balanced, I mean, its wider at one point than the other. I wouldn't waste money on em myself. Way too expensive. And IMO, just a gimmick product.

Thanks alot for your info. Much appreciated!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Well, 5 deer isn't alot. Thats one season for me Its data, I agree. But many more have had issues. Look at GMMAT's record.
I guess I could have added the 2 friends I hunt with using roughly the same setup and they are 5 for 6 on passthroughs. The only one that didn't was quartering away pretty good and lodged into the opposite shoulder and that deer only went 60 yards. So that's 10 for 11 on passthroughs.

I don't really know GMMAT's record so it's tough for me to comment on.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

like everyone else has said...shoot the head that shoots the best out of your bow, and if you put'er in the pump station they won't go 100 95% of the time
Old 08-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

i have nothing but good things to say about vortex mechanicals,got the job done everytime i did my part but this year im going back to wasp fixed heads they always did great...i just dont think anyone hunting long will get a pass through everytime.like the hunters who always shot perfect or missed the deer completely never harming one just dont see that happening...

the only reason im going to fixed heads is the blades seem to be reusable after shooting a deer more often than mechanical heads, so as i see it i get more bang for my buck,,,shot one rage two years ago given to me it worked good but ruined two blades and the dang blades always deployed with a little bump..

i just think fixed heads will save me some $$$... going to get a steelforce style heads for my 3 recurves i bought this year to start hunting with next year,,, any good suggestions on a head for recurves 55# ...

i have ruined blades on vortexs a rage and fised heads it happens..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.