Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
broadheads and is it time to  switch. >

broadheads and is it time to switch.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadheads and is it time to switch.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default broadheads and is it time to switch.

Ok I have used muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broadheads since I got my bow. I was no to up on using the expandables or cut on contacts contacts. If I am right expandables open in the air and cut on contact opens when they hit. Is this correct?

Over the last few years I have lost a few be it a lost arrow from a missed shot, dang that has happen to much, plus I lost one when I hit a tree on a miss and the arrow came out but not the head.

My plan was to pick up some new ones and just stick to the muzzys. Though I thought I would ask everyones thoughts and look at making a jump to a wider cutting head that flies like a field point.

So switch and if so to what or stick to what ant broke and do no try and fix it.

My bow seems to like them on the few practice sessions I shot them last year they where flying great with no adjustments to my bow.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

expandable (aka mechanicals) are designed to open once it makes contact with the target. There are few styles, rear deploying(Rage broadheads), over the top (spitfires, Grim Reapers) and tip activated (Tru fire Switchblades). Maybe the bigest advantage is that they fly like a field tip. They also usually boast an impressive cutting diameter. You will find mixed reviews from people, they either love them or hate them. The reasons for loving I already mentioned. Reason to dislike are; since there are moving parts there is oppourtunity for failure(not opening when it hits the target), opening in flight and causing erratic arrow flight, and since the blades have to be forced open upon impact, you lose energy which can result in not getting a pass thru (which we all want).

Cut on contact broadheads are fixed blade broadheads where the blades run all the way to the tip and start to cut a soon as they touch the target. They are very good for penetration since all the energy goes into driving and cutting rather than deploying blades. Since they cut on contact and penetrate so well they are a very popular style among people who shoot bows that produce lower kenetic energy from either pulling less weight, having a shorter draw lengths, or shooting traditional equipment.

Personally I am a die hard muzzy shooter, they are rock solid, accurate, and if I do my part, have never let me know. Plus, as far as broadheads go, you'll be hard pressed to find a better broadhead for a better price.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Muzzy Phantoms 220 grians if you want to run with the big dog! I like them because I don't like to walk far to find my deer.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you there Rev.... And a very good explanation too shoot2thrill25.... I only shoot the 100 grain 3 blades though, and All the deer I have shot, and made a good shot on, I have never had to look more than 100 yards from there I drilled them. I love my Muzzy's and they don't hurt the wallet as bad when you have to replace them, or parts on them. Blades are always at my sporting goods store. You cant go wrong with a Muzzy.

Last edited by V8Ranger; 08-01-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

As expensive as broadheads are, and mechanicals are at the top of the chart, I just don't get it. As long as an arrow is placed in the kill zone (lung or heart) very seldom have I ever tracked an animal more than 100 yards. The only advantage I can see with a mechanical style head goes to the archer that is not confident with there shooting ability or instead of going 80-100 yards with a well placed arrow they bleed out within 50 yards, advantage.....you get to see them go down. But the disadvantage is that there is the mechanical failure factor now. If by chance the blades don't deploy on a well placed arrow, your track job turns into many many yards and the chance of no recovery. With all that said, I will stick to my fixed blade broadheads and practice practice...........
Old 08-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Universal Question: When is it time to Switch

Having been in the sporting goods business, other businesses, time to study opinions on the internet, there sometimes is no rational reason why people switch products.

I haven't used the specific product mentioned, but it's been around too long, for too many people not to have used the broadhead successfully.
Of course, there are the inexperienced newbies and those who never quite measure up as an accurate shooter or user of the broadheads.
I've used only two kinds of broadheads in the last fifteen years. I never blamed one broadhead. It was my job to shoot correctly. It was my job to put the broadheads on the arrow correctly. It was my hob to make sure they were sharp enough.

Unfortunately we see some product change, simply because the fault lied with the product; never, never with the user.

I have a feeling too many just put the broadhead on the arrow, and don't take one minute to learn how they are suppose to operate correctly. I know from my studying my broadhead, I could have "fouled" up broadheads I was using, before I took them hunting. It's not always the fault of the braindead product but sometimes the braindead user.

I have no clue when to switch products. But there has to be a good market for those switching three, four, five and more broadheads in their career. You see, for some, the product is always wrong.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned, don't buy into the favorite b-head BS..... hit a deer through the lungs and it's DEAD and DOWN within 100 yards!

Also, please don't use a mech b-head and excuse or crutch for using a poorly tuned bow.

That being said, the highest quaily, best penetrating b-heads I've found are the Rocket Steelhead, Wac 'Em and Slick Tricks.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzy's are a Solid head for the money, but IMO there are better heads out there. I have killed several deer with Muzzy's so I learned their weakness first hand, never used the Phantom though

My favorites are Slick Tricks (Love the Grizz's) G5 Striker, and most of the heads NAP makes.

Dan