Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how to tell if my broadheads r sharp? >

how to tell if my broadheads r sharp?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to tell if my broadheads r sharp?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Run your finger down the blade.
If you bleed it's sharp.
If you don't bleed then it's dull.
That's kind of what I was thinking.. if you see blood then go hunt!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The problem not asked?

Do too many hunters not know how to sharpen their broadheads, gutting knives, or the Thanksgiving day carving knife?

And I became a better fisherman when I sharpened my own fishing hooks.

Last edited by Valentine; 08-01-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
I also rub it across my thumb nail. It it skips across it its dull and if it digs in easily its sharp. Just putting arrow in and out of foam quiver can dull them. Also never shoot the blades in a target and reuse them on an animal. Use old blades for practice.
Not necessarily.... I have a handful of Slick Tricks that regularly go into FOAM, and get re-edged, and then are again ready to kill. I killed 3 deer, 2 coyotes and a blue grouse (lost the arrow on the grouse), with the same BH, and it had hundreds of trips into foam...

There are a multitude of ways to tell if a BH is sharp enough, from shaving to the "cut vs. tear" method on newspaper, to whatever. If mine will shave off some of the skin on my fingerprint, then they are plenty sharp.

This little guy does a heck of a job.... http://www.rei.com/product/780741
Old 08-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Spike

Default Use A Rubber Band

The method that I was taught years ago was to take a regular size rubber band and stretch it slightly between your thumb and forefinger and barely hold the nock in a two finger grip with the broadhead resting on the rubber band. Drag the blade across the band and it shoud be cut into with only the weight of the arrow. The theory here is that the small rubber band best represents the artery of a deer. I hope this helps you as it works for me.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
Not necessarily.... I have a handful of Slick Tricks that regularly go into FOAM, and get re-edged, and then are again ready to kill. I killed 3 deer, 2 coyotes and a blue grouse (lost the arrow on the grouse), with the same BH, and it had hundreds of trips into foam...
Sure if you resharpen them....I was just talking about how most guys will pull out their favorite arrow many, many times in and out of the foam in their quiver. Over time this can dull them....but sure if you take the time to sharpen them again you will be fine.