Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
camcorder for hunting >

camcorder for hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

camcorder for hunting

Old 07-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default camcorder for hunting

I want to pick up a camcorder for hunting. I had one two years ago and had alot of fun taping my hunts but it was mini dv and I hated the tapes so I took it back.

I would like one that has a harddrive but would take sd cards should I choose to. High def is not a big concern and I doubt I would get one in my price range.

Thinking under 400 bucks for the camcorder.
SO what would you recommend?

I looked at the sony handi cam what do you think of it? 80 gigs should be more then enough
Old 07-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

I have a sony handycam that records on the mini DV tapes. It's a nice enough camera for me, but it's nothing very fancy. When we bought this, we were thinking about the hard drive models. Several different sales people in different stores mentioned that they can be bad if you are rough with them (like in a hunting situation) because like a computer, being bumped while writing to the hard drive can damage the data or even the device. That was a year ago too though and I'm sure they've worked on those issues.

rw
Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

I use a canon fs300. It uses an sd card. I prefer the sd cards, they are a ton easier to put onto a computer, much easier to find a certain clip and to erase clips too. The quality of video is very good, and it also has a very good mic and zoom. The recording light is very bright for its size it very light and very reasonably priced. Its a canon so you know its going to be quality. Right now they have a $20 reabte going too. Take a look at them here.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...093+4291570227

btw it takes very good still photos as well.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

If I can ill post some video clip so you can see what the footage will look like. If I cant get it posted I can email you some clips if you want
Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got the sony HDR-CX110, it is a really nice little camera. I filmed a hog hunt for my girl friend and it worked out great. Check it out on myarcheryhunt.com (click on Katie's first hunt). When filming in HD one hour takes around 8 gigs, so unless you own an HD tv lower the settings. good luck, there are a lot of good choices out there.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

wow that is some nice footage, Tell her I said congrats on the hog. I could see the grains of dirt and the vanes of the lefts. I did not think you could buy a hd for that cheap.

Thanks I will have to look at it. Now if I can get bestbuy to match the online price I found which is 100 cheaper. I will be good to go, I would like to buy it from them as they sale a protection plan for 50 bucks and it covers spills and handling damage.
Originally Posted by rankbull
I just got the sony HDR-CX110, it is a really nice little camera. I filmed a hog hunt for my girl friend and it worked out great. Check it out on myarcheryhunt.com (click on Katie's first hunt). When filming in HD one hour takes around 8 gigs, so unless you own an HD tv lower the settings. good luck, there are a lot of good choices out there.