Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bow hunting in August >

Bow hunting in August

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow hunting in August

Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by johnch
I looked at the permits and got a chance to talk to the Game Warden

The deer must be recovered
I or a family member can eat the deer meat
Or I can donate it to a non profit org.

I can shoot any deer , but if I shoot a buck
I must give the rack to the Game Warden

I can spot light

I can use anything I want to , a bow , shotgun , any pistol or even a centerfire rifle ( Ohio dosn't allow the use of a centerfire rifle to harvest deer expect for crop damage )

The farm is 2.5 miles from my house , so I can have it home in 5 min

I like the idea of gallon milk jugs full of ice

And the Thermocell is a must , I have 2

The Game Warden sujested I shoot both the doe and it's fawn if I start Aug. 1
So the fun begains

John
I agree witht he reasons for hunting with a crop damage permit if it is legit....like you have i hope not just so people can have an excuse to hunt early.

I however disagree with the two bold/underlined state,ments up top. IF you shoot a deer at 9pm say, chances of recovering a deer that is not spoiled has got to be less then 50% and thats just not ethical IMO. Also, I know its probably just me but shooting a couple week or month old fawn is just inasane to me. I wouldnt want it to suffer but id have to let it walk and wait for a loner deer. Good luck this year.