Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arm guards???

Old 07-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Spike

Default Arm guards???

What is the cause of needing to use an arm guard when shooting newer compound bows?A friend of mine gets whacked by the string when he shoots,thus leaving red welts.Is it mostly poor form or is it a poorly fit bow.Or is needing arm guards more common than i think.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
bigcountry

Usually, poor form, too high poundage bow, too long draw or combo of all.

Tell your "friend", to hold out his hand/arm to his side in a natural relaxed position. Thumb not pointing up or down but dead natural. This is how the bow should fit in the hand. If he has to dig his heel of his hand, string can hit. If he has his elbow turned in, poor form.

Problem with too much wieght is usually a shooter has to dig the heel of his hand in to control the bow.

A proshop should be able to get him on track in no time.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It could be either, but it is most likely caused by using a bow with a draw length that is too long. He's probably being hit by the string because his bow arm is fully extended and locked causing the lower forearm to pivot into the string's path.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Usually, poor form, too high poundage bow, too long draw or combo of all.

Tell your "friend", to hold out his hand/arm to his side in a natural relaxed position. Thumb not pointing up or down but dead natural. This is how the bow should fit in the hand. If he has to dig his heel of his hand, string can hit. If he has his elbow turned in, poor form.

Problem with too much wieght is usually a shooter has to dig the heel of his hand in to control the bow.

A proshop should be able to get him on track in no time.
X2 well said, I can't add to that, excellent advice Mark.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by The Rev
X2 well said, I can't add to that, excellent advice Mark.

ditto