Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How much pull kills deer at how many yards >

How much pull kills deer at how many yards

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much pull kills deer at how many yards

Old 07-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default How much pull kills deer at how many yards

im wanting to start bowhunting for deer and i was wondering could someone give me the specs for the yardages that 40 50 and 60 lb pull kill at...i dont know how much i could pull
Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well bow poundage is just one aspect. Your draw length is just as important when it comes to knowing the power level your bow is generating. That said, if you use the proper broadhead you can kill deer with a 40 lb bow out to 35 yards easily. With a 50 or 60 lb bow and the right broadhead you can kill them as far as you can reliably stick an arrow in their vitals. It is not hard for example to get good consistently lethal penetration on deer with two blade cut on contact style broadheads even from pretty low poundage bows.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

I seen deer shot with 37lbs and got a complete pass through.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are just starting, worry about 15 yards to start. Any legal wght will kill a deer there.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm moving this to the Bowhunting section. That's the more appropriate forum and you should get more responses there.