Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Quantico

Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Spike

Default New to Quantico

Hello all,
I'm new to the Quantico Area and am thinking I'd like to hunt it this coming year. I know there are a ton of Bow only areas "mainside," but I was hoping to gain some insight as to where others have had good luck. Any kind of advise is GREATLY appreciated!

Here's looking forward to Oct 2nd!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by robins76jd
Hello all,
I'm new to the Quantico Area and am thinking I'd like to hunt it this coming year. I know there are a ton of Bow only areas "mainside," but I was hoping to gain some insight as to where others have had good luck. Any kind of advise is GREATLY appreciated!

Here's looking forward to Oct 2nd!
Have a friend who hunts there, the dragging's easy. I don't know anymore, just the stories. From what I hear you won't be alone at the wee hours of the morning.

My brother hunted it once. He came home with a deer that he kicks himself for not getting mounted

in the mouth of a bobcat. LOL
Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Suburban Hunting?

robins,
Have you considered trying suburban bowhunting? I have really enjoyed my first year of it. The kill permits run year-round and the deer population is very high. This is the organization website that I hunt with (Suburban Whitetails Management of Northern VA):

http://www.deerdamage.org/

I have killed a pile of deer since moving here last summer and I am tracking some decent bucks for this fall.

Get in touch with Brett (a.k.a. virginiashadow). He has hunted Quantico and might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 AM
Spike

Hey Kevin,
That sounds great! Thanks for the info on SWMNV, I'll definitely check it out!!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Alot of guys in the Regional forum "South" Hunt on quantico, myself included. There's alot of great places to hunt, wether on mainside or on TBS. Just ask questions in that forum. I myself strictly bowhunt on quantico, I've had a handful of hunters walk up on me while on stand. Key is to scout the area you're interested in, go in deep.

Brett is a great guy, he has helped me with some of my setups.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Wlcm robins!
I killed my first deer at Quantico - in 1964... I haven't hunted it recently, but you shouldn't have a hard time finding deer from what I've heard.

-fsh
Old 07-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is an abundance of deer on that base. There's a lot on mainside but you'll find that there's more out on the WFTBN/TBS side. You just have to find out where you're allowed to hunt and when.

I would recommend PMing QuanticoKidd. He's been hunting there for a while.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/memb...nticokidd.html
Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunted there one year and killed a couple of deer. My best advice is wear tick gators and make sure every place a tick can get inside your clothing is sealed up. Maybe it was just the area i was hunting but that place was infested with ticks.