Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What type of Bow do i need >

What type of Bow do i need

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What type of Bow do i need

Old 07-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default What type of Bow do i need

I want to start bow hunting this comming deer season. Ive know how to shoot a bow and use sights and thats about as far as it goes.. What would i need to start practicing for the season....what type of bow, arrows, sights, targets...ect
Old 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

You need a Mathews and nothing more as far as the bow goes! J/k, find a pro shop that will let you demo a few different makes and models. They can measure you up, check your draw and shot, and give you all the help you need. Don't know your budget but check out some of the cheaper brands like Diamond and Mission, they're made by Bowtech and Mathews anyway. If you don't have a budget, check out the new Hoyt Carbon Matrix, at around $1500+ starting out. Don't worry about the hype of $800-900 base models. Get a wrist sling and a good stabilizer (I like my S-Coil) and don't skimp on the sights. Full containment drop away rests, IMO, are the way to go. Practice makes perfect. Rambling post, I know, but I could type details and stuff all day.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

if i were u i would just go to bass pro, cabelas, or your local archery shop and just tell them you are lookign to purchase a bow. and they will help you out. just ,ake sure that you shoot alot off different bows b4 you go ahead and buy one. get the one that feels the best in your hands. the one u feel the most comfortable with. they will also help you get arrows. your right draw length. and all of the other things needed.

Welcom to the sport, PH
Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Absolutely, If you want to have the best reexperiance get a Mathews! You won't regret it. You can find some of the older models on ebay at a great price as long as you know your draw length. Then take it to a pro-shop and have them help you tune it and get whatever else you need. Good luck and I'm glad to hear your getting back into the sport.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

HOYT

Last edited by BOWHUNTINGisLIFE; 07-22-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Shoot a draw weight that is comfortable to you. 50 lb. draw weight will kill deer just as dead at 20 yards as a 70 lb. draw. A heavier arrow will be more forgiving and quieter, but obviously slower. Paper tune it. Just like with a rifle, make sure the setup feels good and you will have few worries.